We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best ferry route from Athens to Kusadasi

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
91 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best ferry route from Athens to Kusadasi

I am planning a trip covering Greece & Turkey in May '14. I wish to start from Athens & then cover maybe 2 greek islands enroute to Kusadasi in Turkey. I would like to use the ferries since its economical. I was considering mykonos & Samos since there seem to be ferry connections to Kusdasi from Samos. But this means skipping Santorini. would that be ok? This will be our first trip to Greece & so want to make the best out of it.

Can somebody suggest what route would be best for me from Athens to Kusadasi via which 2 islands? Which ferry serves these routes? I am travelling with 2 kids who love beautiful beaches.

Thanks

Smitha

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best ferry route from Athens to Kusadasi

Mykonos may not be on that route in May. It tends to be included only in high season. The all year route is Piraeus-Syros-Ikaria-Fourni (not always)-Samos. There are two companies on the route - NEL Lines (no May timetables yet) and Hellenic Seaways (seems to start in June). If you want to go via Santorini you would have to enter Turkey via Kos-Bodrum or Rhodes-Marmaris and travel to Kusadasi from there. Getting to Samos from Santorini would take several days and a number of ferry changes. Note that most of the mentioned ferries do not run daily so you need to plan carefully.

Timetables:

www.gtp.gr

www.openseas.gr

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best ferry route from Athens to Kusadasi

You could ferry to Chios, which is a fascinating island, and then go to Samos from there. I think there's an overnight ferry from Piraeus every other day to Chios, and then occasional ferries to Samos from there.

Alternatively, you could just go directly to Samos and spend some time on Patmos as your second island.

You'd miss out on Santorini, but IMO the view from Jimmy's Balcony in Chora on Patmos is every bit as jaw-dropping as the caldera view in Santorini.

3. Re: Best ferry route from Athens to Kusadasi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21