We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't know which island to stay at

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Don't know which island to stay at

Both my parents, me (23), sister (18) and her boyfriend (22) are looking to go on our first holiday abroad in around 4 years. We're looking to go during august but we're struggling while trying to decide which island to go to, we'll be going for 3 weeks.

Originally we was set on crete, but my parents don't want to move resorts at all and chania was looking like the better place for us, but it would have meant being unable to see the east part of the island etc.

We spend a lot of the time around the pool and visiting beaches, then going out for meals at night etc. But we do like to visit surounding areas too, like other villages/towns, walks, etc. In terms of nightlife, we don't care for the whole clubbing thing (family holiday ha) but quite a few restraunts/bars would be nice.

Me and my dad love to go snorkling and we all love to go to nice beaches as well. We will most likely be going out most nights for a meal to different towns etc.

Any recommendations? (We don't want to move between island or resorts)

Thanks! Let me know if you need any more info

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,040 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Have a look at Naxos (blog with photos by donnyb):

mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

From Naxos you can also do day excursions to surrounding islands:

greeka.com/cyclades/…naxos-tours.htm

In addition it is possible to do a day trip to Paros using ordinary ferries.

Naxos also have a mountainous and scenic interior with small villages around:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189431-c163441/Nax…

Hope this helps.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Hi there

Why not stay on the east of the island then instead? I would recommend looking at Agios Nikolaos another working Greek town as Chania is, but smaller, with four town beaches, three of which are sandy and of course easy access to the most popular site on the island of Crete, and just under and hours drive from Heraklion airport...

www.cretetravel.com/guide/agios-nikolaos/

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

I had originally looked slightly at Agios Nikolaos. Are there a lot of nice areas to visit within driving distance? Are the beaches nice too? The town itself certainly looks very nice.

Thanks for the info about Naxos too, i'll give it a look.

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Hi again

Yes the beaches are very good.....and there are some great town beaches too, which are walking distance to any where within the town as Agios is a small town (more like a UK village really) - have a look at the link to see the town beaches... my favourite being Ammoudi..

www.aghiosnikolaos.gr/index.php…

Within a 10 min drive are the wonderful beaches of Istro/Kalo Chorio which I think are the best beaches on the north coast of Crete, the most famous being Voulisma beach

cretanbeaches.com/Beaches/…

Another lovely beach is the beach just 2km from the centre of Agios which is Ammoudara beach located on the road to Istro/Kalo Chorio

If would like some ideas for accommodation just let me know a few details and happy to help :-)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

You've really sold me on the location haha, especially after looking at the beaches. With it being so far to the east does it still have a lot of places within driving distance to visit?

And yeah some accommodation ideas would be great if you didn't mind. We're looking to stay for 21 days, and there will be 5 adults (probably gna have to do two rooms, one for 3 people the other for 2). We're looking to stay all inclusive (we will be eating out at night most nights, but it's mainly for the drinks/breakfast etc).

Air con/decent size pool is a must, wifi would be an added bonus. In terms of how much we're looking to spend i think it's around £1500 per person (for flights and accommodation), there's a bit of leeway on that though.

If you have anywhere in mind that i can check out please let me know :)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Hi there

Greece and Crete aren't good at all inclusive hotels, their speciality is small family run hotels or self catering apartments but you will get some all inclusive hotels, but I would suggest you look at staying in a couple of apartments I am sure that this will work out much cheaper, especially as you have a car, so you could go shopping in the local Lidl, great for water, drinks, and basis then you could also shop at the local Wednesday market for fresh produce too......but obviously the decision is up to you :-) but have a look at the Mirabello apartments, good pool lovely views and some tavernas on your doorstep, and still walking distance to the very centre of Agios...try booking independently usually cheaper :-)

http://www.mirabella.gr/

If you do want to go AI then look at the Hermes hotel which is nearly in the centre of Agios, and also the Mirabello hotel which is nearly next door to the Mirabella apartments (as recommended above) both belong to the same group of hotels.

Agios isn't really that far east, and there is so many places to visit, not sure what you like, but here's some links with travelling times from Agios :-)

Spinalonga Island ( 10 mins )

explorecrete.com/crete-east/spinalonga.html

Palace of Knosso (50 mins)

www.explorecrete.com/Knossos/knossos.html

Ancient City of Lato (30 mins)

www.aghiosnikolaos.gr/index.php…

Milatos Village (great for a lunch by the sea) and the caves (30 mins)

www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/milatos.html

Lassithi Pleteau ( 50 mins)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/lassithi-plateau…

Ancient side of Malia (30 mins)

interkriti.org/crete/iraklion/malia_archaeol…

Greek town of Sitia (far eastern end of the island) ( an hour)

http://www.cretetravel.com/guide/sitia/

Village of Mochos - in the hills behind Stalis ( 30 mins )

the traditional village of Krista ( 15 mins)

explorecrete.com/crete-east/EN-kritsa.html

Neapoli another traditional village (15 mins)

cretanbeaches.com/Information/…

Hope that gives you some ideas of the large choice of places to visit, and of course I haven't mentioned the beaches yet :-)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Wow thank you so much for the informative post, you've been very helpful :)

I'm set on Agios now and i think my parents are as well. It seems to have a lot of great beaches and is very close to a lot of nice looking places.

AI isn't set in stone, it's just what my dad was thinking, mainly for the drinks during the day and breakfast etc.

Just lookeed at the mirabella Apartments and they're nice, location wise etc they seem great. The pool being so close to the front of peoples apartments isn't ideal but still, seem very nice.

I'll show my parents it tomorrow and see what they think, thanks again!

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Hi again

Your welcome :-) if they don't like those apartments then just let me know....:-)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

Thanks for your help MG100, my dad for somereason decided he doesn't want to go to a greek island anymore, not sure why haha. Kinda time wasted lol, oh well, at least i know i want to visit crete myself one day :)

Surrey, United...
Level Contributor
11,385 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't know which island to stay at

No prob Christopher, hope you have a great holiday where ever you decide to stay :-)