We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

money

Level Contributor
323 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
money

Hi thinking about going to greece in 2015 ( Lemnos island ) whats is the bettter currency to take euros or can you still get dracma and whats the cost of living like on lemnos , actually going to stay in moudros so can somebody give me an idea thanks.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: money

Greece's sole currency is the Euro. And it's the same currency in 18 EU member states,

It's the same as asking if i can use German Marks in the UK.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 07:39
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
523 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: money

As Nick says, it's Euros.

The Drachma has been gone for years, what planet you been living on!!!

3. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 13:35
Edited: 24 January 2014, 13:35
4. Re: money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 13:35
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: money

Only currency accepted in Greece is euros. That's the local currency, i think it's 10 years now. Nowadays, Euro is the common currency for more than 330 million people in the continent and despite the fiscal problems Eurozone faces these last 4 years, the currency is used by more and more countries each year.

Shops in Greece and in most Eurozone countries rarely accept anything else rather than euros due to high exchange comissions and the fuss to exchange the different currency.

Whether to arrive having $ or euros depends on exchange rates and how you plan going around. For the cash, it 'll have to be euros. Get some for a starter from your local bank to have some money on the hand when you arrive, then you can use atm's to get cash from your OZ account.

Many people travel using a mix of cash, debit card and credit cards. Cash for smaller expenses ( it has to be euros ), debit cards to get money from atm's and credit cards for bigger expsnses like hotels and domestic travelling tickets or shopping ( check with your bank for foreign exchange comissions, sometimes it's good, sometimes not ).

In what extent to use cash or credit / debit cards varies wildly and it's a mater of comissions the bank from the country of your origin is charging to use the cards abroad. Do research this with your local bank, it's worth the tiem spent to know what exactly they charge you. Atm's can be found anywhere, credit cards are widely accepted ( Visa and Mastercard, AMEX is not so widely accepted - smaller places & smaller islands cash is needed ).

Edited: 24 January 2014, 11:01
Level Contributor
323 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: money

yeah thanks we are planning to go to lemnos so probably cash and euro's , gonna spend time in mudros as well vist my great uncle who is buried there. A bit of an end to alot of research i have done about his war service. Anyway rent a cars seem to be pretty reasonable in cost as well .

uk
Level Contributor
151 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: money

I sometimes try and slip my 1000 dracma note to the bar man! Gets a laff and a lot of reminiscing.

Edited: 24 January 2014, 12:32
Level Contributor
323 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: money

the online currency convertors still have a rate for the dracma lol interesting ??

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: money

.. curious as to which one?:-) Very odd since the drachma has been out of commish for a very long time now.. Do you have a name/link of the online currency convertor?;-) Thanks.. Enjoy!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,216 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: money

<<.. curious as to which one?:-)>. Me too litsa! Maybe you can still sell/buy on e-bay?

But no harm done, incidentally I seem to remember (sad I know) that the quoted exchange rate when Greece changed to the € in 2002(?) was 340.75 Dr = €1.