We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

West Covina...
2 posts
Save Topic
My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

Hello all!

I'm 27 female traveling solo for the first time to Greece. May 15-26 2014

I plan on dividing my time between Athens/Santorini/Mykonos. I would appreciate recommendations to beaches, restaurants, activities. I'm really hoping to come out of my shell & meet new people. What are the best places to meet other solo travelers? Most of my accommodations come from Airbnb (which means i'll be staying in my own private apt/cave house) except at the beginning of my trip in Athens I will be staying at a hostel(Athens Backpakers) in hopes of meeting other solo travelers.

Also if anyone will be traveling to Greece the same dates I would love to set up a meet up.

Thank you guys in advance for the advice, I'll need it! :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

hi,and welcome..

mid to late may is early season for the greek islands,but you definitely picked the two that will be the busiest at this time of year (as they are the most visited),so there will be enough people (and solo travellers) for you to meet.

keep in mind that any question you may have has been asked and answered many times before here on TA..just go to the specific forum of the area-island you are interested in ,tye the key words of your question at the research bar and numerous answers will come up..

for example for best beaches in mykonos if you go to mykonos forum,type ''best beaches '' at the research bar many answers come up..for things to do in mykonos type ''things to do '' ,for best and so on..keep in mind these are the two most expensive greek islands,so definitely search for ''cheap restaurants'' and ''on a budget'' at these two islands forums..

mykonos town is where the action is in mykonos,with bars that will be open to keep you entertained ..in santorini fira is the main village with the most bars-options,but oia is the most beautiful village..here is a description of the 4 villages in santorini hanging from the vliffs with the great views santorini is famous for..

1 - Fira. This is the islands main town and the hub of pretty much everything., it will be busy , not only with everyone else staying there, but also day visitors from other parts of the island and the hordes of cruise ship visitors who are tendered ashore here.

2 - Firastefani. This is a small village a shortish walk away from Fira, but a hell of a lot quieter. Many people who'd like to be close enough to "enjoy" Fira but who don't want to be in the centre of the madness choose to stay here.

3 - Imerovigli - This is the quietest of the caldera side villages with limited shops, restaurants etc. However, due to its higher eleveation, you get some of the best views that Santorini has to offer, including the sunsets.

4 - Oia. This is the most beautiful of the villages and where many of the photos of Santorini that you see on postcards and in books and brochues are taken. There are any hotels, bars and restaurants to suit all pockets, from the affordable by everyone to the likes of places you'd need to be a millionaire to stay at. Nightlife is fairly quiet, small bars etc, no clubs or discos.

for athens the options and things to do are endless,it is a vast overpopulated metropolis of 5 millions..again search at athens forum for more specific details..you don't mention your interests,so i can't help you more,maybe if you had an idea of what you would like to do (archeological sites?beach time?-it is possible in athens as well,it is a coastal city-)

Edited: 26 January 2014, 21:48
West Covina...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

I am very new to forum posting so I'm definitely greatful for all your advice and will be doing more research on previous post like you recommended.

Thanks for all the insight & for taking the time to reply!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

Even if you are staying in private accommodation, most hostels are more than happy for you to frequent their bar if they have one - if your buying their drinks they don't care if you're not staying there!

Also maybe, if you feel its within your budget, take part in a walking tour, you'll meet other travellers in a calm setting and even if you don't click with any of the people on your tour, ask your tour guide where good places to meet people are. (For Athens I can personally recommend Athens Walking Tours, Despina went above and beyond to help me with my travel plans when I was in Athens)

4. Re: My first solo trip/ first international trip! Advice please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:19