We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

My husband and I are travelling to Europe (from Australia) in May this year for 9 weeks. We fly into Athens and are planning on spending a week in Greece before heading to Italy. I am slightly flexible with dates and the length of the trip as we haven't booked anything yet, however we would prefer to just spend 7 or 8 days in Greece as this will fit in well with the other countries we plan on visiting. This is our ideal itinerary, I realise it's a bit of a whirlwind but we don't mind the fast pace and really just want to see as much as we can:

- Day 1 - fly into Athens

- Day 2 - Sight-seeing around Athens

- Day 3 - Athens to Mykonos

- Day 4 - Explore some of Mykonos

- Day 5 - Mykonos to Santorini

- Day 6 - Explore some of Santorini

- Day 7 - Santorini - Athens

I know there is a lot of travelling involved here and only a few full days' to spend actually seeing the places, but we don't mind, as we plan to go back in the future, just want to get a taste of the place for the moment. We are in our mid-20s and want a mixture of exploring/walking around, partying maybe just one night go out (Mykonos) and a bit of a relax (Santorini).

My specific questions are:

- As it is quite expensive to travel from place to place, would we be better off doing a short tour? If so, does anyone know of a tour that encompasses the above and is not too expensive?

- I can't quite figure out how to get from Mykonos to Santorini besides the SeaJets ferry (3 hrs, 130EUR each??!)

- Any other hidden costs or advice from people who have been to these places recently?

George's Taxi
Taxis & Shuttles, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Private Greece Tours
Archaeology Tours, Private Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours
Michael's Amazing Tours
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Archaeology Tours
Athens by Bike
City Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

If it's just a taster and you are happy with such a frantic pace, then go for it, all I'd say is that if you intend ferrying back to Athens on the final day from Santorini, make sure you leave plenty of time for your flight connection to Italy or come back to Athens the previous day which then pretty much rules out any usable time on Santorini. Having said that, how much of a "taster" does just one day in each place offer, you'll be lucky to see anything of anywhere really.

Is there a specific reason why you have chosen those two islands? There are 100s to choose from

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

I think we may now spend an extra night at Santorini, and fly from there to Italy.

Only based on friend's recommendations, open to other suggestions though. I have always wanted to go to Santorini.

Mykonos - is there another island that would fit in better geographically that would have good nightlife and nice beaches? I'm sure there are many!!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

hi and welcome..in may the islands are just ''waking up'' for the summer ,so nightlife will just get starting..but you definitely won't find an island with a better nightlife than mykonos,so go for it..stay near mykonos town where all the action is..don't expect a wild night life,just some bars open in the town.

have fun planning

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Level Contributor
151 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

From Mykonos to Santorini there is Flyingcat 4 (Hellenic Seaways) which costs 56.5 euros each and the trip is 2,5 hours. When are you arriving in Athens? If you really want Mykonos to have nightlife when you go, try going to Mykonos during a weekend, or at least a Friday or Saturday night. You could also go first to Santorini and then to Mykonos and fly to Italy from Mykonos if it fit better.

If you want and you're having trouble with that, I can help you with the Athens-Mykonos, Mykonos-Santorini and Santorini-Athens or Santorini-Italy schedules!

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

Thankyou! This is helpful :)

I think now the trip will look like this:

- Day 1 - fly into Athens, get on ferry to Mykonos

- Day 2 - Mykonos

- Day 3 - Mykonos to Santorini

- Day 4 - Santorini

- Day 5 - Santorini

- Day 6 - Santorini to Athens

- Day 7 - Athens

- Day 8 - Fly Athens to ROme

We might switch Mykonos and Santorini around if that works better, but at the moment the latest ferry that leaves Rafina Port works well with our flight arrival, and doing Athens last means we don't have to spend a night at an airport or get into Athens for just one night on our way to Rome.

I will look into this over the next few days and get back to you if I need help with the schedules!

6. Re: Athens - Mykonos - Santorini whirlwind trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 05:26