My husband and I are travelling to Europe (from Australia) in May this year for 9 weeks. We fly into Athens and are planning on spending a week in Greece before heading to Italy. I am slightly flexible with dates and the length of the trip as we haven't booked anything yet, however we would prefer to just spend 7 or 8 days in Greece as this will fit in well with the other countries we plan on visiting. This is our ideal itinerary, I realise it's a bit of a whirlwind but we don't mind the fast pace and really just want to see as much as we can:
- Day 1 - fly into Athens
- Day 2 - Sight-seeing around Athens
- Day 3 - Athens to Mykonos
- Day 4 - Explore some of Mykonos
- Day 5 - Mykonos to Santorini
- Day 6 - Explore some of Santorini
- Day 7 - Santorini - Athens
I know there is a lot of travelling involved here and only a few full days' to spend actually seeing the places, but we don't mind, as we plan to go back in the future, just want to get a taste of the place for the moment. We are in our mid-20s and want a mixture of exploring/walking around, partying maybe just one night go out (Mykonos) and a bit of a relax (Santorini).
My specific questions are:
- As it is quite expensive to travel from place to place, would we be better off doing a short tour? If so, does anyone know of a tour that encompasses the above and is not too expensive?
- I can't quite figure out how to get from Mykonos to Santorini besides the SeaJets ferry (3 hrs, 130EUR each??!)
- Any other hidden costs or advice from people who have been to these places recently?