We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help for planning our trip

Ottawa, Canada
5 posts
Save Topic
Need help for planning our trip

Hi to everyone,

We are 2 friends in their twenties (21 & 25) going in Greece for 3 weeks, arriving the 5th May and leaving the 25, both flight in Athens.

Our initial thougts were to arrive in Athens, stay maybe for one day and leave for Kalambaka (Meteora) for 3-4 days.

We would then comeback in Athens for another day and after leave for the islands.We were thinking to do Mykonos, Santorini and Ios.

This being said, we have a budget of around 2 000-3 000$ and would like to know if what we're thinking of doing is achievable and if so, wich places to visit in those locations and the best thing to do overthere.

We want to visit, but also enjoy a good time (going out sometime in bars, beach, etc.)

Please let us know if you guys have any tips on this trip,

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
32 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help for planning our trip

Why don't you start your tour with an island and finish it off with Athens? This way, you'll get to see more of what Greece has to offer. I would start in Rhodes or Crete or even Turkey. From there, take a ferry to Santorini, then to Ios and Mykonos. From Mykonos, there is a ferry to Piraeus, where you can hop on a bus or Metro to Athens. From Athens, either by bus or train, visit Delphi, Nafplion, Olympia, Meteora etc.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help for planning our trip

Hi there

There are no ferry connections to any of the islands on your list from Turkey, the only islands directly accessible from Turkey are in the Dodecanese and North East Aegean island chains.

Mykonos and Ios are two of the biggest party islands in Greece so I take it this is your prime objective on this trip, to have a really good time with the nightlife?

If you want to see some of what Athens has to offer, I would allow a bare minimum of two full days but that's your call of course. I would also leave Athens and the mainland till last, that way you are back on the mainland well before your homebound flight, better to be running late and just an hour from the airport, than to be 200 miles away on an island. Athens airport has great air connections to most islands.

I just wondr why you have chosen those three islands though as you ask "which places to visit in those locations and the best thing to do overthere.".

Personally and seeing as you have three weeks, I would sit down with a good guide book and make an informed decision as to which islands to visit, based on your own preferences.

I know you haven't suggested it, but forget Crete, it's simply too large to do any justice to in less than a week so if you DID go there, you would need to cram in the rest of your agenda which removes the relaxation from the trip.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help for planning our trip

Hey and welcome Admelbeb:-) You've got a nice plan for your 20 nights;-) I would look to fly out straight to Santorini upon arrival off the long haul.. you'll be at the airport anyway.. and an isle is a great place to de-lag and get into zone;-) Take a look at www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ who are in the process of merging.. the flight takes barely 45 min and you're off to a great start to your vaca;-)

From Santorini, you can ferry onwards to Ios.. from there to Mykonos.. Keep an eye out at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ for ferry schedules! From Mykonos, you can either fly or ferry back to Athens.. depending on when you return you can head straight out for your mainland adventure:-)

Are you looking to rent a car.. use public transport to get to/from Meteora?;-) If renting a car.. and decide to fly back from Mykonos, you can pick one up right at the airport and head straight out.. just be aware that the drive can take a good 5+ hours so plan accordingly;-) The airport site.. www.aia.gr/ has car rental info you may want to check out;-)

Save Athens for the end of your trip.. makes for a great finale as well as ensuring your return trans flight home;-) Keeping the itinerary running as consecutively as possible is a great timesaver.. no backtracking! You are going at a wonderful time.. and as far as budget.. assuming that does not cover air.. $1k a week should work but do be aware that Santorini and Mykonos can be on the pricey side.. post in each isle's dedicated forum for advise on where to stay stating a budget spread in Euros.. am sure the experts and those in the know will make some great rec's .. keeping you within budget;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

4. Re: Need help for planning our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2015, 06:18