We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM fees

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
ATM fees

I will be carrying a Halifax Clarity card on future trips to Greece & hope someone with previous use of this card can help with a small query. Halifax do not charge for ATM withdrawals but in the small print it states that some ATM providers may make a charge for use of their machines & this will be advised at time of transaction. Does anyone here know which, if any, ATMs in Greece are likely to do this & what sort of cost is involved - don't expect it will amount to very much but would be handy to know in advance of standing at the ATM. I would in reality perhaps only be drawing cash for emergency use as I tend to travel with my holiday spends in advance bought currency anyway, but it woud be useful to know even though in case of a real emergency the cost is pretty immaterial. Please note that I know I can use the card with no charges to pay for goods but the sort of places we frequent do not generally take/encourage plastic.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
8,539 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM fees

As far as I know none of the banks here charge for withdrawals on a foreign card. I have used different ones in all the ATMs & the only charge I've had is from my UK bank!

If you use Piraeus or Geniki ATMs (maybe others too) just be aware of the dynamic rate offered (pre arranged rate), DO NOT take that option, always go for a euros withdrawal, see ATM access thread on Top Questions about Greece.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM fees

Cheers! There is nothing in the Halifax small print that even indicates in which countries there might be local charges. I guess they are just covering themselves. I did take on board about requesting withdrawals/making payments in the local currency as there are often complaints about people being caught out on this on various money forums.

The euro/pound rate seems to be holding the recent improvement - let's all hope it continues to get even better ready for the holiday season & encourage some wild spending!!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM fees

The Clarity Card is a credit card not a debit card, isn't it? Doesn't that mean that you'd be borrowing money from the bank and have to pay interest on it from the day you withdraw until you pay your bill? I have one of these cards myself but only use it for purchases.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM fees

Yes it's a credit card. But as I will generally only use it to withdraw cash in an emergency situation overseas the charges are a bit irrelevant. I was posing the query more out of curiosity than an attempt to be a tight-fisted Tyke!! However the better rate should in most instances offset the charge as I always pay off any credit card spending on time to incur the minimum costs. At the mo they reckon it costs about £1 per month per £100 value withdrawn. I got it so that in event of being stranded we can pay for rooms, new air tickets, extend car hire etc etc OR draw any needed cash. Never have much in my current account to draw on & my own bank's charges are some of the worst for foreign transactions. It's all a matter of balance & convenience & covering eventualities. Sort of financial insurance.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM fees

A tight fisted Tyke, tsipouro? Not you, surely?

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM fees

It takes one to know one!

;o))

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM fees

Been using a Clarity credit card ever since Nationwide pulled the plug. The annual interest rate is 12.9%, with no other fees. Providing you pay the card on direct debit during the month , the most you can pay is just over 1%. probably less depending on when you use the ATM and the direct debit date.

I've had no confusion or charges using Alpha and National Bank of Greece ATMs. There is a HSBC ATM at Athens airport, that's OK as well.

Being Devonian, I'm not tight, just careful.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,333 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM fees

cheers B/Snaps! I have always relied on cash but with so much uncertainty these days over flights changes, etc I wanted to be prepared for anything. I was about to get one of those Nationwide cards when they pulled the plug on them - been putting off doing anything else ever since.

What is the maximum amount of €€€€ you can pull out of an ATM in one day/transcation. Again it is not something I found anywhere in the small print (although I concede with ageing eyesight the small print is getting harder to use!!). They tell you everything THEY want you to know & sign for but never what I want to know!!

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
812 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM fees

Hi tsipouro

The maximum cash you can withdraw at any one time may be determined by your own bank. For instance we used to have the Nationwide card and would always withdraw €300 at a time (and put most of it in the safe until needed). After we ditched the card we now have the Norwich and Peterborough Gold Light card which is free to use abroad. The first time we used it was in Petra and none of the ATMs would give us €300. I thought there was something wrong with the card so I phoned N&P and was informed the limit was £250 so I was trying to get too much. It worked fine after that!

Yiamass, Jean

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM fees

Hi Tsipouro, The Clarity withdrawal is £300, obviously the euro equivalent. . You might need to negotiate your card limit , probably just under 7K, I thinks it depends how long one has banked with the Halifax.