We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in August with Teenagers

darnestown md
Level Contributor
196 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Greece in August with Teenagers

We are hoping to plan a 10 day trip to Greek Islands in August(only time we can go). Would also spend 1-2 nights in Athens. I have been to Athens, Mykonos, Santorini in May, but my kids have never been. I know it is the peak travel time, so we need to start planning soon. Just wondering:

1. Is it so hot and crowded that it doesn't make sense to go in August?

2. Island recommendations for teen boys(ages 16 and 18)? Also is it best to take a ferry from island to island?

3. We would also consider a greek islands cruise. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations about their experience with this and possibly names of companies.

thank you very much!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,367 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece in August with Teenagers

hi and welcome.

1) it is hot,how hot is too hot fot you i don't know..there are some islands with a nice breeze that makes the weather pleasant,i am going to mention them later..here are weather averages in greece for august

currentresults.com/Weather/Greece/temperatur…

as for crowded,august is the busiest month but even in the most busy island you can find areas with not many people around..you just have to know them,and trip advisor is a good place for that info..there are islands and places in greece most people don't know..you can find islands in august with a few tourists but you have to search for them

2) naxos and paros..both have a nice breeze (the one i talked about)..so the weather is more pleasant and due to the breeze-wind they also have watersports like surfing,which i know will keep the kids satisfied..i would concentrate on naxos,as it's cheaper,less crowded and bigger than paros,so all in all great for what you are looking for..here is a trip report from a 17 year old girl for naxos..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189431-i1324-k669…

ferries are the only connections between islands 9with a few exceptions)..they are short though,if they belong in the same island group..for example paros to naxos is a short ferry ride and you can enjoy it sitting outside ,feeling the air,enjoying the views etc.most athens are connected by plane with athens,so .you can fly from athens to the first island as soon as you land in athens 'airport and from the last island to athens

3) a cruise is a cruise,you are on a big boat and you get 5-6 hours of getting on land,during which you struggle to catch any sense of what this place is like,but you only get a photograph view of the place..if you want a cruise go for it,i am sure others will make suggestions

Edited: 01 March 2014, 20:13
2. Re: Greece in August with Teenagers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:18