We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

hyderabad, india
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hello

My wife and I, in our mid-fifties and from India, are planning our first trip to Greece, starting 21st April to 3rd May. We like history and are not much of beach people.

The places we wish to cover, at least, are:

1. Athens - 3 days including transit

2. Delphi - 1 day

3. Meteoras - 2 days, 1 night

4. Santorini - 2 days

A few questions to which we need help are:

1. Should we drop any of the above and include anything else?

2. In any case, we'll need one more place, perhaps an island. Which one?

3. Except a conducted tour, is it possible to go to Delphi and then to Meteora and return to Athens in one trip? Or, should we come back to Athens from Delphi same day and go to Meteora by train and return next day?

4. Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Many thanks.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hi,

It is possible to visit Delphi and then travel up to Meteora by public transport but it will cost you time. Should you choose this option there is no need to return to Athens. Given your limited time though you are best off joining a tour which takes in Delphi and Meteora. I think you should also consider flying directly to Santorini once you arrive in Athens, return to the mainland and then visit the places mentioned above. Save Athens until the end of your vacation.

Edited: 03 March 2014, 10:19
hyderabad, india
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hi AjarnAndy: Thank you for the immediate response.

Any suggestions on a tour to Delphi and Meteora?

Will save Athens and mainland after the islands, as you suggest. Thanks again.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,386 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hi,

I have never taken a tour there myself but do check out Go Tours. There are others, perhaps someone else can better advise in this area.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hey and welcome akg_hyd:-) Great advise from AjarnAndy.. totally agree, fly out directly to Santorini upon arrival at Athens airport.. for organized tours to Delphi and Meteroa, along with www.gotours.gr/ you can check www.chatours.gr/ www.keytours.gr/ These are the top 3 tour operators in Greece who have been around for decades offering similar tours/itineraries;-) Although doable on your own with a rental, using public transport would take up lots of your precious limited time!

For what appears to be a 12 night adventure, believe you've done well plotting out your 11 full days between 1 isle, a land adventure and an Athens stay;-) Enjoy!

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Agree would fly straight through to Santorini. However, I would spend at least 3 nights in Santorini or you'll barely have time to de-lag before departing this beautiful island. Given the amount of time you have and since you like history, I would skip a second island and return to Athens. There are several daily flights from Santorini to Athens which are not much more expensive than the ferry (sometimes less) and you'll save lots of time. At the airport, I suggest renting a car if that is an option for you, and head straight out to Delphi and Meteora (amazing, beautiful, totally unique place!); spend a night or two there, and then head to the Peloponnese which is rich in history. Save your final 3 days for Athens. You can arrange to return your rental car to an office in Athens (rather than returning it to the airport) as you won't need or want (parking is limited) the car while in Athens. Have a great trip!

hyderabad, india
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Our flight lands at about 6.30 pm in the evening into Athens. There does not appear to be a flight to Santorini immediately after that. Suggestions?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

..Have you checked both www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ ?:-) April is still a bit early in the Season although the 21st is the day after Easter Sunday so it's a busy weekend.. nonetheless, if no other flights pop up soon, I'd say the obvious.. to just stay overnight in Athens.. you'll be arriving early enough to head out.. take a walk.. a nice dinner with an Akropolis view;-) You can head out early the next morning and have breakfast.. or lunch in Santorini;-) Keep us posted.. keep enjoyin'!

Maryland
Level Contributor
561 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Unfortunately, you will have to spend the night near the airport and take an early morning flight to Santorini; kayak shows a 5:10 AM flight which would give you a full first day on the island. If you aren't on a budget, the Sofitel hotel is right next to the airport (you can walk over to it) and very convenient for early am flights. Alternatively, you could rent a car at the airport and head straight to Delphi but you'd have to spend a night there before visiting the site the next day; complete your tour of the mainland including Peloponnese; return to airport for flight to Santorini and fly back to Athens for final 3 days - more backtracking however.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Athens airport.

http://tinyurl.com/daeq8f

hyderabad, india
Level Contributor
12 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary finalization for trip to Greece

Hello

There is now a change to our schedule and I need some more help.

It is like this:

3 Days at Santorini

3 Days Delphi & Meteora

3 Days in Athens

We now have 2 clear days left and are unable to decide which place to choose. Please help.

Thank you.