We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

Our family (2 adults, 2 teens) will be staying on the island of Poros, departing for Trikala on March 30 (we need to arrive the same day). After much internet surfing, I am very confused about the best options for the 4 of us to get to Trikala. Is it best to take the fast ferry back to Pireaus (departs at 7:40am- arrives 8:40am, costs 22E each) or take a ferry from Poros to Galatas (cheaper)?

If we go to Pireaus, is it better to take a train or a bus to Trikala? I assume we must go back into Athens to connect to a train or bus or is there an easier way?

If we go from Poros to Galatas, can we get to Trikala by bus or train from there... or is renting a car better since there are 4 of us?

I'm also wondering if it is best to book trains/buses online in advance or if we can show up at the station to buy it an hour before.

We would like to do this as economically (and simply) as possible. Any advice is Greatly appreciated!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

Hi,

Take the more expensive ferry to Piraeus from where you board the metro. Take the metro to Kato Patisia station and walk to Liosson bus terminal. From there buses depart for Trikala:

ktel-trikala.gr/…

If you will be carrying heavy luggage take a taxi from Piraeus to Liosson.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

Thank you!! Approximately how long will it take to go from Pireaus Port to the Liosson Bus terminal by metro/walking?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

Hi Kristin,

It will take about 40-45 minutes to get to the bus terminal from Piraeus. I wouldn't risk getting tickets for the 09.30 service just in case your ferry is delayed a little. However, you should easily make the 11.30 bus.

4. Re: Best way to get from Poros to Trikala in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21