We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
10 day trip

Hi all!

I am planning a trip to the Greek Islands this October. I would LIKE to visit Santorini, Mykonos, Crete and a side trip to Izmir.

After reading several posts on the Greece Forums, I am wondering if this is even possible?

Anyone attempted a trip like this?

Thanks!

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,525 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip

Hi,

Just about possible with lots of time spent travelling. I would miss out on one of the Greek islands, quite possibly Crete.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip

As above but would also cut out Izmir as when on holiday, you want to holiday and not travel so much.

Please be reminded that in October, places like hotels/apartments, tavernas and shops will be starting to close down for the winter, and the weather will be a bit hit and miss.

If you can bring your holiday forward to September, then that is a better time to visit.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip

Hey and welcome Daphne H:-) Does that 10 days include your travel/trans flight day out?:-) Bottom line, you're looking at 9 nights.. if you do indeed have 10 days minus lost travel day out.. and agree 2 isles plus Athens is more than enough;-) Crete is humongous.. a destination on it's own.. without a specific destination in mind (say Knossos in Heraklion) would give it a miss this time around! If you stick to Santorini, Mykonos and Athens, you'll basically have 3 nights at each place.. which boils down to 2 full days:-)

A good time saver is to fly straight out to an isle upon arrival in Athens.. you'll be at the airport anyway .. no backtracking.. and FWIW, de-lagging and getting into zone on an isle is ideal;-) Save Athens for your finale when you'll be about ready to take on this magnificent City and all it offers;)

Check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for the short puddle jumper flight to either isle that will fit in with your trans arrival.. takes about 25 min to fly to Mykonos.. about 45 to Santorini! You need to check ferry schedules at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ and see if there even is a ferry connection between these isles at the time you'll be there! I believe they do run through Oct but best to make sure.. otherwise, you'd need to detour via another isle.. or fly back to Athens and back out again!

You're coming the distance.. would certainly see if you can possibly add a few days.. well worth it;-) Regardless, try to keep the itinerary running consecutively.. it's a huge timesaver especially with limited time;-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

4. Re: 10 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2015, 05:17