We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on relatively flat regions please

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on relatively flat regions please

I really wan't to go to somewhere in Greece this summer with my daughter but I have breathing problems. I can walk for miles on the flat but limited up hills, short distances would be ok. Would anyone be able to offer me advice on a suitable area please.

Many thanks

cheshire
Level Contributor
149 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

I think if you give more details of the things you like to do and see on holiday you will narrow the options down for more suggestions

UK
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

We mainly want a week of relaxation. A pool is a must and near a beach if possible although not essential. We want to eat out and sample local food. Not bothered about nightlife. Any extras such as historical areas and local culture would be a bonus. We're not fussy about accommodation, a simple room or hotel is fine.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,867 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

Hi sistersusie,

You could investigate Lassi on the island of Kefalonia. However only consider places on the "sea side" of the main road that runs through the resort. Those on the other side are up steep hills.

Several companies such as Thomas Cook, Olympic, Thomson etc. go there and many people go and book independently.

Bob

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

Hi

The resort of Ipsos in Corfu might fit the bill. It has an almost straight stretch of about a mile long right next to the beach which is only a few steps below. There are lots of tavenrnas, bars, shops along this stretch.

The beach is from sandy to small pebble and the sea mostly sandy and quite shallow. It's is only about 18 km away from the airport and has a regular bus service with Corfu town. This used to be a rather 18-30s, and still has plenty bars, etc,, but has a much more mixed clientele these days, still lively in high season though (maybe a bit too much so for what you want?)

www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/ipsos.asp

You might want to take a look at Benitses also. The centre is a pretty flat resort area, with a pleasant shady square area with shops and tavernas. It once had an extremely lively reputation, but those days are gone! It has a nice short airport transfer

www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/benitses.asp

Both places consist of quite long ribbon development along a road, so I'd look for somewhere close to the central areas.

Messonghi is a quieter resort, with a number of traditional tavenas. In itself it is flat, although there is a hill up to the main road towards Corfu Town. There are buses however. A pretty flat walk along the coastal road (maybe 20 minutes or so) will take you to tiny traditional Boukari, which has some lovely fish tavernas.

www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/messonghi.asp

www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/messonghi.asp

Again, a pretty short transfer, just further on than Benitses on the road south from the airport.

From any of the above places you can easily take a trip into Corfu town, which is very pleasant for 2 or 3 hours.

Edited: 26 March 2014, 15:56
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

You might also want to look into Rethymnon on Crete, which has a number of resorts running out from it along a flat coastal road. Rethymnon itself is a lovely town with a Venetian harbour, history and some great tavernas, and down in the waterfront area the town is nice and flat (although there's a steep hill up to the Fortezza).

It would be worth checking with individual hotels that they are not located in an area that isn't flat, wherever you're interested in a particular accommodation, as even predominantly flat areas may have a part that has an incline :-)

Rethymnon has no shortage of hotel possibilities.

Some discussion in this thread may also be of interest about resorts that might meet the needs of someone with mobility difficulties and Crete

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189413-i424-k69…

Hopefully, this can kick off some ideas/give something to research further anyway!

Edited: 26 March 2014, 16:16
6. Re: Advice on relatively flat regions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:15