We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Topic
Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Hi my sister and are planning a trip to Greece (Athens) may 6-15. We will have 8.5days. Our plan was to stay somewhere close to airport or port for ferry on the first evening and then go straight to Santorini the next morning l. We have been trying to figure out if we should fly or go by ferry since we are trying to get a lot in.

We would then fly back to Athens (since there's no way to fly closer to Meteora). Then either go to Meteora and Delphi on our own or with a tour?

Since we have to fly out of Athens we would return again. This seems like a very round a out way of traveling but we can't seem to find any alternatives. If anyone has had a similar trip or any suggestions we would REALLY appreciate it!!

Thanks!!

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

You will fit it in ok especially if you fly one or both ways to Santorini. You can stay near the Athens airport at a hotel like Peris http://www.perishotelapt.gr/ which is reasonably priced and has a free shuttle to/from airport.10 mins.

I don't think you can get to Meteora from the airport on return from Santorini, and we found the train from Athens is best.- about 5 hr. Kastraki seems the nicest place to stay there. You can get a Delphi and Meteora tour from Athens (expensive) though but I think it's best to just see Meteora timewise , and organise it yourself by train from Athens

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

BTW - The Athens Oscar is affordable and close to the station - Larissa Station

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Hey and welcome Shourani;-) With such limited time would certainly be looking to fly to Santorini upon arrival in Athens.. as well as return.. check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanari.com/ for flight schedules.. it's a short approx. 45 min flight;-)

Would you be willing to rent a car?! If so, you can pick one up directly from the airport when you fly back from Santorini to Athens.. you can check out rental companies on the airport's official site at www.aia.gr/

If a tour is an option, check out www.chatours.gr/ www.keytours.gr/ www.gotours.gr/ These are the top 3 tour operators in Greece.. similar itineraries.. around for decades;-) Believe there is a 3-day tour that would cover both.. and whatever you decide, would certainly spend your finale night(s) in Athens in order to ensure your flight out! Keeping the itinerary running consecutively is always a time saver.. no backtracking involved.. and you would be able to do that if you pick up a rental for the land portion.. if not, you may need to split it up if opting for the land tour.. they leave early around 8a.. you can check specifics on the sites.. so will most likely require an overnight;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Thank you so much for your help- I really appreciate it! I just have a couple of follow up questions:

-are all car rentals going to be manual cars?

-any recommendations of hotels?

-how long should we plan for Meteora and Delphi if we do not do a tour?

Thank you

Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

There are automatics listed here …airport-car-hire.net/car-hire-greece.html but they are fairly rare in Europe.

Gave you a couple of hotels before, and there are plenty at Kalambaka/ Kastraki for you to research and choose - and Santorini is dependant on your budget of course.(more research required....)

We feel you need 2 nights for Meteora just to be there and appreciate. That really leaves Delphi out time-wise...but your choice. There is a Sunset tour out of Meteora and also a morning one - highly regarded and worth doing both

Oh, and Enjooooooy!!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

You're welcome Shourani:-) As mentioned, you will find automatics.. just not as popular! If you manage to grab a flight straight out to Santorini on the 6th.. spend.. say.. 3 nights.. and fly back and pick up the rental on the 9th.. you can spend 2 nights at each locale.. return the car on the 13th.. and stay in Athens for 2 nights till you depart on the 15th:-)

Of course, you can split up your 9 nights according to your own personal prefs/interests.. travel style;-) If you opt for the rental, you may even want to consider doing the longer haul first and hit Meteora first (takes about 5+ hours).. chances are arriving later in the day.. spend the 2 nights and have the 1 full day there.. so if you head out early on the 3rd day, you can get to Delphi early enough by around 10a (this run will take you about 3 hours, thereabout).. overnight there and head back to Athens the following afternoon/evening.. if you feel you got enough of the place;-) It would give you an additional night in Athens.. All personal calls;-)

Are you looking for hotels at all 4 destinations?! Usually it's best to post in each destination's dedicated forum for better exposure for those in the know to find you.. stating a budget spread as well;-) Santorini and Athens cover the gamut in price-range! Keep us posted.. and of course, keep Enjoyin'!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Hi Shourani,

I like the way you squeeze everything in there, you're traveling a long ways so mind as well see everything i say. Myself we only have about 6 days to see all of mainland greece. We're using a taxi company (george the famous taxi driver) who is NOT a tour guide but more of a driver. People will say why not rent a car it will be cheaper and see the ins and outs of greece. People who say that are usually not the driver. I don't want to get lost somewhere strange and we don't have the time and i myself want to enjoy the scenery not stare front and center. I suggest you use either a tour company or taxi service, they're really not that bad and i've used them before. They will literally drop you off in front and wait hours for you no matter how long and you can change the timetable whenever. For tours you are slave to their itinerary but you get a told a lot of history. In terms of what you want to see, Delphi is 1 day, meteora is 1-2 days max (depending on how many churchs you want). As for Santorini, i've never been there before. I was going to see them this time, but not enough time and its more just for looks like mama mia! lol

Phoenix, Arizona
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

Thank you very much for all of your advice. I will be sure to post on specific cities forums for hotels, tour guides, restaurants. We wanted to nail down our itinerary ASAP so we could look at the correct dates for hotels. In general it looked like we would probably be spending $100-150 for a hotel in Athens (probably in Plaka?) and then we would splurge more in Santorini since we would spend more time at the hotel?

The itinerary we came up with is as follows:

Wednesday, May 7th: Arrive in Athens, fly to Santorini (OR stay in athens close to airport and fly next day- not sure if it would be worth having extra half day in athens?)

Thursday, May 8: Day in Santorini

Friday, May 9th: Day in Santorini

Saturday, May 10: fly to Athens mid day, Pick up rental car, drive to Kalampaka (by Meteora)

Sunday: Day in Meteora

Monday: Drive to Delphi, Day in Delphi

Tuesday: Day in Athens

Wednesday: Day in Athens

Thursday: Leave

Do you think this is feasible? Thanks again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

..Now you're talking:-) Would look to fly straight out on your arrival day.. it'll be somewhat of a 'lost' day and again, the quick flight will have you in Santorini de-lagging and getting into zone nicely;-) Looking good;-) Enjoyin'!

10. Re: Athens, Santorini, Delphi & Meteora in 8.5 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 05:17