We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Topic
big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

Hi

I am planning on going to Greece between September 28 to October 25... I am thinking of going to Greece in the second half of October. Would you say that is a good time to go in terms of weather and the fall in touristy crowds or should I go there around end of September when its still close to the end of summer?

I read that by the second half of Oct, many stores will be closed.. are those stores generally the good ones?

thanks!

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

Obviously the earlier you go , the better the weather is; but I usually spend the latter part of October in the Peloponnese . The sea is still pleasantly warm for swimming , daytime temperatures are in the mid seventies , but cooler in the evenings , a fleece can be useful . You can certainly get the occasional thunderstorm, so take a waterproof . Still plenty of tavernas and accommodation available with plenty of room on the beach. I'm talking about the southern mainland , the northern islands get colder, wetter and quieter earlier.

Don't understand what you mean by stores, there are always shops for the locals residents.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,352 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

I often go to Greece in late October and as BridgnorthSnaps says it's a good time to go. The islands in the southern part of the Dodecanese are still warm and sunny, and the tourist season is just starting to wind down so there are plenty of tavernas/restaurants and bars open and beaches are still equipped with umbrellas and sunbeds if that's what you want.

I'm puzzled by the question about stores.I've never heard of anyone who went to Greece for the shopping before. Scenery, weather, food, friendly locals, history, yes but shopping?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,499 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

Hi,

In Kefalonia, sometimes from end of September and sometimes from middle of October, non - tourist shops revert to their "usual" opening hours. They close around 1pm and re-open around 6pm.

I assume this would be the same in other parts of Greece.

4. Re: big difference if i go to greece in later half of october?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:15