We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hydra or Mykonos

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hydra or Mykonos

My husband son and I are traveling to Greece for 1week in mid June. We are planning on first 3 nights in Athens, including a day trip to Hydra island, next 3 nights in Santorini and final night in Athens before flying back to Chicago. I am wondering whether I should substitute Hydra with Mykonos. So it would be first two nights in Athens, third night in Mykonos, 4th 5th & 6th nights in Santorini and final night in Athens. Please advise which itinerary is better?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

Only one night in Mykonos doesn't give you much time to see/do anything on the island. What is it you planned to see and do there that led you to consider Mykonos? It's nothing like Hydra at all.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

I had not planned anything in Mykonos. I guess I want to chose between Hydra & Mykonos. We love hiking and taking scenic photographs.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,072 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

Here's a link to my Mykonos photos on Flickr, which will give you an idea of the kind of scenery you can expect to see there: https:/…

Google images for Hydra so you can make a comparison and determine which island you might prefer.

Going to Mykonos would be a logical stop en route to Santorini since it's halfway there from Athens and connected by daily ferry service. But one night there would make for a whirlwind visit.

If you did decide to visit Hydra on a daytrip from Athens instead, I would recommend flying from Athens to Santorini, and back, to maximize the limited amount of time you have available for that island.

PS: You posted your question three separate times...to avoid confusion of multiple posts, it would be a good idea to delete the other two posts. You cn do that easily by clicking on the "report inappropriate post" link at the bottom of each one, and then click "remove my post" from the drop-down menu.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 18:59
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

Thanks for your feedback and for sharing your photos. I think I will be using my original itinerary.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

Hey and welcome Ronti:-) If you arriving Athens off the trans.. in order to save yourselves some time.. no backtracking to Athens and splitting the stay up.. agree that a quick flight straight out would be a great way to go.. check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for the quick approx. 45 min puddle jumper to Santorini.. great place to de-lag and get into zone as well.. as opposed to hitting the concrete of a major metropolis requiring lots of walking/climbing;-)

You then have to decide whether you want to continue on to Mykonos or not if you opt for Hydra (you'll find ferry schedules at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ ) .. and you then can either ferry of fly back to Athens from Mykonos.. keeping your itinerary running consecutively.. huge timesaver.. and saving Athens as your finale without half days here and there;-) Also ensures your return long haul back home:-) Happy planning.. and EnJOY!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

Thank you! Very good ideas.

7. Re: Hydra or Mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2015, 07:16