We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need feedback on 5-week Itinerary in Greece

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Need feedback on 5-week Itinerary in Greece

Hi everyone,

I finished a draft 5-week itinerary in Greece (arrive Apr20; depart May27). I need your constructive critique please especially from those with experience on feasibility/practicality andr any tips. I also have a few questions afterwards.

From Canada travelling with buddy; will rent car most of the trip (have GPS but need Europe map).

• Day 1 (20/4): AM & PM arrivals in Athens – no plans (Night in Athens)

• D 2 (21/4): Early car to Hosios Loukas Monastery to visit then to Arahova (Night in Arahova)

• D 3 (22/4): Car day trip to Delphi; back @ ~ 6pm to Arahova for start of St George Feast (Night in Arahova)

• D 4-5 (23-24/4): Leisure days in Arahova for St G. F. (Nights in Arahova)

• D 6 (25/4): End of St G. F.; leave @ ~ 4pm to Pelio region (Night in Pelio – town undecided yet)

• D 7 (26/4): Leisure day in Pelio (Night in Pelio)

• D 8 (27/4): Day in Pelio; evening car to Meteora (Night in Kalambaka)

• D 9-10 (28-29/4): Tour Meteora (Nights in Kalambaka)

• D 11-14 (30/4-3/5): Early car to Thessaloniki (Nights in Thessaloniki) with possible visit to Mt Athos

• D 15-17 (4-6/5): Early car to Lefkada (Nights in Lefkada Town)

• D 18 (7/5): Early car to Olympia (stop for ~ 5 hrs) then car to Kardamyli (Night in Kardamyli)

• D 19-22 (8-11/5): From Kardamyli base, car day trips to Vathia & Mystras (latter go/return via Langada Pass) and 2 leisure days in Kardamyli (Nights in Kardamyli)

• D 23 (12/5): Early car to Monemvasia (stop for x hrs) then car to Nafplio (Night in Nafplio)

• D 24 (13/5): Leisure in Nafplio (Night in Nafplio)

• D 25 (14/5): Day in Nafplio then evening car to Athens and drop car (Night in Athens)

• D 26-30 (15-19/5): Early ferry to Santorini (dep. 7am arr.12:15pm) tour Santorini (Night in Fira)

• D 31-33 (20-22/5): Ferry to Mykonos (dep 12pm arr. 2:30pm) tour Mykonos (Nights in Mykonos town/Hora)

• D 34-37 (23-26/5): Early Ferry to Athens; time in Athens (Nights in Athens)

• D 38 (27/5): AM departure from Athens

Aside from your feedback, etc., I have these questions:

• Pelio region: Where to stay what to do/see during 1.5-2 days (not thinking of beach – as it’s late April – likely seeking to visit mountain village(s), hiking, nature, etc)

• Meteora: In 2 days (with 1 monastery closed on Monday and 2 on Tuesday), how likely is it to visit all 6 monasteries (or which to visit)? Are 2 days enough? Which ones are must-visit in your opinion?

• Mount Athos: Heard special permission required to enter (2 males). How difficult is getting permission? Can it be granted on the spot? Are monasteries open for visitors? Which to visit ? Anything else aside from the monasteries? For those who had visited, in your opnion, was it worth it?

• Lefkada: around 2.5 days in Lefkas with car. Unsure if weather will permit beach time (sunbathing/swimming) any thoughts? I found suggested routes for inspiration (link below) but like to hear from you.

lefkadaslowguide.gr/en/…

• There may be 1 day too many planned for each of Kardamyli and Thessaloniki. These 2 days can be allocated elsewhere (e.g. Pelio, Meteora, Lefkas, Santorini, maybe add a day trip to Hydra from Athens or Nafplio). What do you think and, which stay would you extend and why?

• From your view/experience what destination would you eliminate, extend, replace with another, etc?

• Any recommendations on getting Europe map on GPS?

• Any recommendation on Athens local car-rental companies (reliable and competitive prices). I have major ones.

• Know of any special events/celebrations in the areas I am visiting? The plan is open for minor adjustments if worthy.

Note: I am fully aware that it is all subjective and relative including experience. I still want your opinion.

I know I am asking for a lot; thank you so much in advance.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need feedback on 5-week Itinerary in Greece

hi,i am not an expert,but here are some suggestions to get the conversation going .you have picked some great places,and much time to enjoy them..i would allocate one more day for plilio and nafplio but that's just my opinion..

-will you be renting a car in pilio?if you do your life will be easier,if not you have to use the local buses from volos to pelion mountain villages,more details here..

ktelvolou.gr/en/…37

take a look at the map,it pinpoints the villages connected and if you click on them you can see the current routes....like it says ,to make sure the schedules are updated contact them via mail or phone...with only 1,5-2 days,i would focus on portaria and makrinitsa vilages,both served by ktel buses..

-while in meteora people here recommend staying in kastraki instead of kalambaka,they think it is a better place overall,and more authentic,so try to book a hotel room there.

-for which monasteries to visit,and any other question you may have has been answered many times here on trip advisor..just go to the specific forum of the area you are interested in and type the some key words at the research bar..for example,if you type ''which monasteries to visit'' at the research bar of meteora forum answers will come up..the default is in relevance,you can change it into date for more recent answers

-the one place that seems odd is lefkada,it seems out of the way and not apparent to me why you have included it,nothing wrong with it,it's a great island,but you will have the island experience from mykonos and santorini anyway..definitely consider 1 more day for peilio,nafplio and thessaloniki..you mention maybe less days for thessaloniki..no way,it is a very interesting city,way more relaxed than hectic athens..have a day to chill there,have a coffeee at the waterfront in the cafeterias ..you can visit alexander's the great father's tomb in vergina..lots to do there,browse through thessaloniki forum and google ''things to do'' at the research bar-do the same for athens..personally i would add the 3 days of lefkada to thessaloniki and pilio...for more info about all these places,again,go to the specific forums and google your questions.

-for a car from athens airport,tsipouro,a respected forum member makes this suggestion,i'd go for it

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k68…

-info for mt athos here,i think it is a bit late to arrange that,but doesn't hurt trying

mountathosinfos.gr/pages/agionoros/pilgrims_…

and this topic from someone else who did this

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189473-i965-k66…

again using the research bar at mt athis and ouranoupoli (you get to ouranoupoli and from there a boat to mt athos) forums you can get more info

-nafplio is well worth 3 full days...while in nafplio,do a day trip to epidavros ancient theater ,theater was born in greece and epidavros thater is perfectly preserved,info about nafplio here..

visitnafplio.com/visitnafplio.com/Nafplio/Na…

epidavros ancient theater

http://tinyurl.com/pc8cq9x

-you will love monemvasia castle,if you were a couple i would suggest an overnight there but i suppose not lol

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,833 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need feedback on 5-week Itinerary in Greece

A couple tweaks I'd offer:

-try to spend the night in Olympia. It's much more enjoyable to wait until the tour buses leave and then you can have the site to yourselves. You can then leave for Kardamyli first thing the following day. I think that might be much more relaxing than a drive from Lefkada to Karamyli with a stop in Olympia.

-even if you're not a couple, a night in Monemvasia would be worthwhile. An early morning hike to the unrestored part of the town is also worth the effort.

3. Re: Need feedback on 5-week Itinerary in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2015, 06:16