I finished a draft 5-week itinerary in Greece (arrive Apr20; depart May27). I need your constructive critique please especially from those with experience on feasibility/practicality andr any tips. I also have a few questions afterwards.
From Canada travelling with buddy; will rent car most of the trip (have GPS but need Europe map).
• Day 1 (20/4): AM & PM arrivals in Athens – no plans (Night in Athens)
• D 2 (21/4): Early car to Hosios Loukas Monastery to visit then to Arahova (Night in Arahova)
• D 3 (22/4): Car day trip to Delphi; back @ ~ 6pm to Arahova for start of St George Feast (Night in Arahova)
• D 4-5 (23-24/4): Leisure days in Arahova for St G. F. (Nights in Arahova)
• D 6 (25/4): End of St G. F.; leave @ ~ 4pm to Pelio region (Night in Pelio – town undecided yet)
• D 7 (26/4): Leisure day in Pelio (Night in Pelio)
• D 8 (27/4): Day in Pelio; evening car to Meteora (Night in Kalambaka)
• D 9-10 (28-29/4): Tour Meteora (Nights in Kalambaka)
• D 11-14 (30/4-3/5): Early car to Thessaloniki (Nights in Thessaloniki) with possible visit to Mt Athos
• D 15-17 (4-6/5): Early car to Lefkada (Nights in Lefkada Town)
• D 18 (7/5): Early car to Olympia (stop for ~ 5 hrs) then car to Kardamyli (Night in Kardamyli)
• D 19-22 (8-11/5): From Kardamyli base, car day trips to Vathia & Mystras (latter go/return via Langada Pass) and 2 leisure days in Kardamyli (Nights in Kardamyli)
• D 23 (12/5): Early car to Monemvasia (stop for x hrs) then car to Nafplio (Night in Nafplio)
• D 24 (13/5): Leisure in Nafplio (Night in Nafplio)
• D 25 (14/5): Day in Nafplio then evening car to Athens and drop car (Night in Athens)
• D 26-30 (15-19/5): Early ferry to Santorini (dep. 7am arr.12:15pm) tour Santorini (Night in Fira)
• D 31-33 (20-22/5): Ferry to Mykonos (dep 12pm arr. 2:30pm) tour Mykonos (Nights in Mykonos town/Hora)
• D 34-37 (23-26/5): Early Ferry to Athens; time in Athens (Nights in Athens)
• D 38 (27/5): AM departure from Athens
Aside from your feedback, etc., I have these questions:
• Pelio region: Where to stay what to do/see during 1.5-2 days (not thinking of beach – as it’s late April – likely seeking to visit mountain village(s), hiking, nature, etc)
• Meteora: In 2 days (with 1 monastery closed on Monday and 2 on Tuesday), how likely is it to visit all 6 monasteries (or which to visit)? Are 2 days enough? Which ones are must-visit in your opinion?
• Mount Athos: Heard special permission required to enter (2 males). How difficult is getting permission? Can it be granted on the spot? Are monasteries open for visitors? Which to visit ? Anything else aside from the monasteries? For those who had visited, in your opnion, was it worth it?
• Lefkada: around 2.5 days in Lefkas with car. Unsure if weather will permit beach time (sunbathing/swimming) any thoughts? I found suggested routes for inspiration (link below) but like to hear from you.
• There may be 1 day too many planned for each of Kardamyli and Thessaloniki. These 2 days can be allocated elsewhere (e.g. Pelio, Meteora, Lefkas, Santorini, maybe add a day trip to Hydra from Athens or Nafplio). What do you think and, which stay would you extend and why?
• From your view/experience what destination would you eliminate, extend, replace with another, etc?
• Any recommendations on getting Europe map on GPS?
• Any recommendation on Athens local car-rental companies (reliable and competitive prices). I have major ones.
• Know of any special events/celebrations in the areas I am visiting? The plan is open for minor adjustments if worthy.
Note: I am fully aware that it is all subjective and relative including experience. I still want your opinion.
I know I am asking for a lot; thank you so much in advance.