We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

Level Contributor
521 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

I've been watching the ferry schedules closely as we'd like to make more definitive plans for our vacation. We arrive on Milos from Athens by Aegean Airlines and have been trying to decide itinerary with the goal of visiting Milos about 6-7 days total, Sifnos about 5-7 days, and Folegandros about 3 days. We arrive on May 30 and depart on June 15. At the end we fly out of Milos back to Athens, so we have to backtrack. Now I see that there are two slow ferries on June 5 to Sifnos at about the same time: NEL (12:25-14:35) and Adamantios Korais (12:20-13;35). What are the differences between these ferries? Will they really run at the same time? We then plan to take the 'Adamantios Korais' to Folegandros on June 10, and then the NEL to Milos on June 13. What are your thoughts on the order of the islands as well as the time allocated for each? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

I would not be too inclined to make definitive plans, the ferry scenario may change with NEL ferries having problems. You may find another ferry operator doing the route, or something.

Just chill, keep flexible and take the ferries as listed by the local ticket agencies on each island in turn.

Two ferries at the same time is surprisingly common (and maybe very useful), maybe it will only be the Adamantios Korais....

Both the ferries are smallish conventional ferries and you are only on it for barely an hour or two.

I personally think both your flights are an unnecessary complication and time wasting.

A simple suggestion:

31 May Piraeus > Folegandros, 07:25 Adam. Korais.

5 June Folegandros > Milos, 10:10 Adam. Korais.

10 June Milos > Sifnos, 16:05 NEL(maybe....), 16:35 Speedrunner 3.

14 June Sifnos > Piraeus, 16:15 Seajet.

You can go other days depending on ferries, checking as you go.

Level Contributor
521 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

Thanks, Retired Hippy. Do you think we need to prebook rooms on Folegandros and Sifnos? We didn't have any problems getting rooms on other islands (Samos, Naxos, Amorgos, Kos, Patmos, or Santorini) without prebooking, but I've read that rooms on Folegandros are more limited. There's also the possibility that we might take the 22:00 -00:20 ferry from Milos to Folegandros, depending on what's available. I like the idea of checking as you go. What problems are the NEL lines having?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

they are in a bad state financially,facing bankruptcy..i would stay away from them untill it is more clear..

4. Re: openseas shows two ferries same time, which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 06:17