We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

I am planning a trip in early September with my fiancé. I am thinking of flying into Istanbul then some of the greek isles and then fly back from Athens, or I could do the same the other way around (fly into Athens, then the greek isles and fly out of Istanbul). We have more or less 12 days for the trip. I can definitely take a flight between greece and turkey if that would save time. Any suggestions as to which isles I should visit in between and how long I should stay in each? I really want to visit Mykonos and Santorini.....any other isles I can visit on the way?

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

In 12 days, you'll be hard pressed to see anything more than Istanbul, Santorini and Athens. You'll need at least 4 or 5 days for Istanbul, a day to get to Santorini and another 2 or 3 days on the island; then 3 in Athens.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,609 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

i agree,stick with these 3 places and you will enjoy your stay,otherwise you will spend more time travelling than enjoying these places

you can fly from athens to santorini and back in less than an hour,tickets here

http://en.aegeanair.com/

things to do in athens

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k47…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k5999…

things to do in santorini

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189433-Activi…

(open air cinemas are my favourite,here is the one in santorini,in kamari area

http://www.cinekamari.gr/ )

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

Hey and welcome Jessmarroquin:-) If you have more or less 12 days.. shoot for more;-) Keep in mind you'll be loosing that first day on the trans so any itinerary that is *12 days*, it basically boils down to 10 nights since you arrive on *Day 2*;-) If you can manage to make it a 2-weeker.. which would give you basically 12 nights, would certainly go for it;-)

If you fly into Athens, would look to fly directly out to Santorini off the long haul(s).. you'll be lagged and in time warp.. at isle is a great place to de-lag.. get your land legs back.. and yourselves back into zone;-) Check www.olympicair.com/ www.aegeanair.com/ for the quick approx. 45 min flight over.. you'll be at the airport anyway.. and keeping the itinerary running consecutively with no backtracking is a huge timesaver:-)

If you do manage to get 12 nights.. up to you how to do a split.. you can give an even 4 to each.. or move it around to fit your prefs/priorities.. travel style! 4 nights in Santorini followed by 3-4 in Mykonos is a great start.. you can ferry between them.. www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ will show you ferry schedules.. then you can fly back to Athens.. and you'll be about ready to take on this City at this point.. fly to Istanbul from there.. and fly back home via open jaw ticket;-)

Again, I don't know your travel style.. you may want to take it at a slower.. or faster pace?;-) This 12 nighter can work and take in all on your wish list.. but again, all up to what you're looking to see/do experience;-) Happy planning.. always EnJOY!

4. Re: Istanbul and Greek Isles Itinerary Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:16