We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to Europe (my first time, I'm from Australia) and part of it will see me travel through Italy for near a week then I'd like to head to Santorini for 2-3 days. This part of it will be early June 2014.

As I'm wanting to make the most of limited time time and alsowant to be a bit frugal with my money I'm trying to work out the best way to get to Santorini from Rome. I also want to see Athens for a couple days.

Would it be best to see Athens, fly to Santorini, ferry back a couple days later and then fly to Prague (my destination after Greece)? I'm cramming a fair bit in the month I have free (Bruges, Amsterdam, swing briefly through Germany and Austria, Italy, Greece, Prague and then London for a couple days - this is after a two week wine and whisky tour of Scotland, France and Spain) but I of course want to be able to actually enjoy my time.

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
821 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

You can get an easyjet flight from Rome direct to Santorini (www.easyjet.com). I would go direct, then come back on the ferry and see Athens before you fly on to Prague. That way if the ferry is delayed (they often are), you won't run the risk of missing your onward flight.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

Thanks for the reply.

I checked and unfortunately through easyjet the first available flight is June 13, which is the day I will be flying to London (I fly home from Heathrow on June 15). Is there another option you could recommend?

I do like your idea of flying to Santorini then spending a couple days in Athens. It was something I had considered too :-)

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
821 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

I think you might have to go via Athens then (should be plenty of options on this route) and then catch the Aegean Air flight to Santorini. Connections at Athens airport are easy, and as you will be flying in from the Schengen zone, there's no passport control to worry about so very quick transfer. Definitely leave seeing Athens itself until the end , though - keep the stress levels down!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

Good idea, I will explore this option. Thanks!

5. Re: Cheapest way to fly to Santorini from either Rome or Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 06:17