We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

Hi, I have received so much assistance and excellent advice for our May trip to Greece and Turkey. Thank you! Now that we have all of the major details figured out (I think..), my planning is focusing on things like where we can hear chant. We love Gregorian chant but have been told by friends that we will most likely encounter Byzantine chant on this trip. Does anyone know where we can hear Byzantine or Gregorian chant in Athens or while we are on Santorini? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Velda

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

What days inthe week are you going to be in each location? Time of the year?

Yeap. It's 'Byzantine Music' ( called "music" instead of "chant" used for Catholic / Gregorian chants ) but what you can find depends on time in the week and in the year.

Usually we are talking about Sunday morning mass, that's 8am - 11am roughly speaking. If it's Easter time you have a lot more options.

----------------------------------------------------

If you are interested, i highly suggest a visit to Benaki Museum ( a small but important collection of Byzantine icons among many many other things ) and the Byzantine - Christian Museum ( one of the biggest collections of icons in the world and other things too ). Both are highly suggested and very good museums. Both are centrally located, in walking distance from Syndagma Sq.

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

Hi Nick, Thanks for all of the information. We will be on Santorini from May 13 until May 24 when we head to Athens. We will be in Athens for 4 nights, May 24 until May 28 when we head for Istanbul. We will have a Saturday and a Sunday in each place so hopefully we can hear some "Byzantine music". Do you know if there is one church in particular where we are likely to be able to hear it? You have been so helpful in assisting me across a wide range of questions for this trip and I am very grateful. Thank you, Velda

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

Any church that will be open Sunday morning will have the usual; Sunday morning mass.

It depends where you are staying. In Athens we have a church for each neigborhood, so it won't be difficult to find a church. I think they must be more than 5 - 6 hundred i guess or more.

If you are in Plaka, that's the Old Quarters, i 'd head to one of the churches there. Plaka is below Acropolis Hill. It takes 20 - 30 minutes to walk form one side to the other and i guess it's at least half a dozen of churches or chapels in this small area that will be open for the Sunday mass. It's gonna be another 4 - 5 around Monastiraki and along Ermou str. The area i am describing is the tourist center and it's dotted with churches every 5 - 6 minutes walking.

You can read more about Plaka here: http://www.athensguide.com/plaka.html

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

Thanks, Nick. We are staying in the Plaka - Hotel Phaedra. I will look for churches there. Thanks also for the Plaka link. Your very thoughtful reply is really appreciated. All the best, Velda

5. Re: Where to hear Byzantine chant in Athens and on Santorini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 06:16