We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece or Italy for family vacation?

Boston...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Greece or Italy for family vacation?

We're planning our summer vacation and would like to hear opinions on Italy versus Greece - first time for us in Europe! My family - which includes two 15 year olds - will be going for two weeks in July. We definitely want a combo of some sightseeing, some recreation (we love the water) and definitely some relaxing. We for sure don't want to be programmed and running around the whole time - in the past we've liked to establish a home base and then do day trips, or just hang out. I know both places are amazing, beautiful and HOT, but we'd appreciate any advice for which one would be best, esp. with teenagers in mind. Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,346 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Greece or Italy for family vacation?

hi,i guess that is your decision and only you can decide..italy wil prbably be more expensive.. as a greek i would choose italy for a change of scenery-and maybe an italian would choose greece for the same reason..both countries are great for holidays and somehow similar,if all fails flip a coin,you will love both

Raleigh, North...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greece or Italy for family vacation?

BarryJay, My 19 year old daughter and I are going to Greece for two weeks starting Memorial Day. I too looked at going back to Italy or first time to Greece. WE LOVED Italy when we went 7 years ago (Rome, Tuscany, Venice). I was looking at a tour of Southern Italy this time. But we both really wanted to go to Greece too, and the trip worked out perfectly as we only had this set window of time to travel. I do not think you can go wrong with either one. We do tours in Europe because of the language barrier, we cover more ground when the tours are planned, but there is still lots of free time to set our own agenda, and we are two women traveling alone. We will see Classic Greece for a week then spend 3 days on Mykonos and 3 days on Santorini. If I were you I would plan on spending one week in a place, and the second week in another place if you want to see more. You could do Athens a week and pick an island for the other week. This time on the Greek Islands will be CROWDED and more expensive. In Itlay I would suggest a week somewhere around Florence, a good location for a number of day trips and somewhere on the Amalfi Coast for the other week. You also must see Rome. This is just my recommendations. My daughter and I have traveled extensively and we enjoy seeing as much of what a country has to offer. WE also try to find out where the locals eat. I planned a three week through France England and Ireland all my self many years ago. I find that now that we work 50+ hours a week, I like to let someone else do the organizing as long as we are hitting most of the sights I want to see, and there is down time. Rick Steve does a wonderful Family tour of Europe that we took the first time I took my daughter to Europe. There are a number of teenagers on the trip to "hang" with. Small group, real European flavor, the adults and kids had a blast. WE still keep up with two of the families and the trip was 7 years ago! Best of luck. I hope your teenagers embrace the differences in culture and appreciate how fortunate they are to have this opportunity at a young age!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greece or Italy for family vacation?

Greece has more and better beaches,Italy has more medieval buildings intact

4. Re: Greece or Italy for family vacation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:15