We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Dear advisers, my hubby and I are planning on a honeymoon/backpacking trip from Macedonia to Greece, Oct this year.

We are deciding if we should spend 3 days in Albania and 3 days in Greece, or 6 days in Greece. Following this 6 days, we will be heading to Istanbul for our flight back home.

Which itinerary would you recommend : 3/3 days Albania/Greece or 6 days in Greece

Within Greece, are there any places you would recommend us to visit. We are more into exploring the local culture, immersing ourselves in the works of nature and historical sites.

How should we get to Istanbul from Greece? It would be helpful if you could share with me how to purchase the tickets, where to board the transport and the website detailing the information.

Hear from you soon. Thank you in advance :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

. http://www.visitgreece.gr/en .

. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia .

. http://www.un.org/en/members/index.shtml#f .

By resolution A/RES/47/225 of 8 April 1993, the General Assembly decided to admit as a Member of the United Nations the State being provisionally referred to for all purposes within the United Nations as "The former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia" pending settlement of the difference that had arisen over its name

. tripadvisor.com/…51448368 .

. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189463-i864-k5265… .

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

hi,and welcome to the greek forum!

like aldro said,please be careful with the name of this country,it is a very sensitive issue for us greeks..its official name is F.Y.R.O.M. ,and that's the only one that should be used,in spite their efforts to call it macedonia..

as for your trip ,take a look at this travelblog..these backpackers are doing the same trip you are planning right now..they are currently in greece,and if you follow it they will eventually reach albania and fyrom..start the reading from the bottom to the top,that's the way to do it..

http://woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com/

what better than reading about people doing the exact same trip?

Edited: 19 April 2014, 00:06
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

6 days are not as much as you would like but enough to cover a few areas in the peloponnese.,like nafplio or mystras..again,these areas are covered by the travelblog i posted..you will find them there..the easiest way from greece to istanbul is by flying from athens airport..for tickets look here,the best of the two greek airlines-they are now merging anyway-..

http://en.aegeanair.com/

Edited: 19 April 2014, 00:10
Oklahoma
Level Contributor
431 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Jacqueline, I am the author of the referenced travel blog. I hate to say it, but for that itinerary six days would leave you no time for anything but buses and bus stations. Experts here are correct to warn us that bus schedules are for locals, not for tourists. Our solution was to extend our trip to 11 weeks. You don't have that luxury.

When is your trip? Is anything already locked in? Since I have researched all three areas, I'll offer what I can.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,445 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

MsNomer - you are a great example of travellers who have researched thoroughly, taken advice & worked on it but still retained your independent plans & fitted into what is possible rather than expect Greece to bend to personal whims. Of course you have the advantage of time (which I would sooner take over money!) but it is a real shame when people try to cram a quart into a pint pot (as we say) & end up with a less rewarding experience. Your blog is a great read/source & I would urge the OP to give all 6 days to Greece in order to get an equally satisfying, if shorter, opportunity to make memories.

Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. They are useful. I'll have a discussion with hubby again on the itinerary.

Happy Easter. God bless.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Generally speaking you itinerary is a bit too hopeful. A bus ride from Tirana to Athens usually takes some 12 hours, and it is a bit less to Thessaloniki. Travel times from Greece to Skopje or any other place in FYROM are just about the same. So you should probably extend your holiday by a few weeks to include all three countries and not miss much. Also be careful on the FYROM-Macedonia issue when speaking with people from FYROM, Greece or Bulgaria, it is a very delicate subject, even I as a Greek, while holding my own ideas about it, have to be diplomatic in my answers sometimes

Singapore
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Hello there,

After much considerations on your feedbacks, hubby and me have decided to visit just Athens and Santorini.

We're intending to spend 2 nights in Athens and 3 nights in Santorini this November.

As there are no train connection to Greece at the moment, we'll be departing from F.Y.R.O.M Sofia via Aegean air to Athens and then taking a 5 hours ferry (either Blue Star or Hellenic Seaways) to Santorini.

Tapping on your professional advice again, where in Athens would be a location to stay in?

Over at Santorini, would Oia or Fira be a better place to stay in?

From Santorini, we'll be taking Aegean air back to Istanbul.

Do you have any advises or suggestions on my above itineraries?

Look forward to your comments.

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

So many countries in the continent, someone may confuse them a bit :-))

Sofia is not a part of Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia but of Bulgaria. It's the capital of Bulgaria.

Since you refer to Aegean Airlines, i am almost sure you meant Sofia, Bulgaria :-)

1. Explore the possibility of flying to Santorini. Aegean Airlines serves the route, so it may be a good idea to tail another flight to the Sofia / Athens flight. This makes sense in tight timed trips. You 'll already be at the airport and you 'll skip one airport / city commute. Athens is always a great start for a Greece trip but leaving at the end makes sense also. So, explolre the possibility of flying, especially if some offer fares are available for your dates.

2. Most are NOT professional here, but inspired volunteers. So, advise is not professional but those of knowledegeable volunteers, either travellers or locals. Volunteer myself and not a tourism professional too. Some members of TA may be professionals, but as far as my knowledge goes, most are not.

3. Pick wisely locaiton in Athens. It's a big place, nearly 6 million people, pretty expanded. Sites for a first time visit are located in a mostly walkable area appx. 1 mile by 1 mile that can be covered in 2 - 3 full days. Focus trying staying there to minimise commuting and enjoy walking proximity or a short subway trip proximity to the sites and museums. I 'd pick from these areas: http://g.co/maps/2vym7 .

4. Seeing your overall itinerary i underline again the possibility of going from Sofia to Santorini and then returning to Athens for the finale of the Greece trip and the flight to Istanbul, Turkey.

F.Y.R.O.M Sofia via Aegean air to Athens and then taking a 5 hours ferry (either Blue Star or Hellenic Seaways) to Santorini.

Tapping on your professional advice again, where in Athens would be a location to stay in?

Over at Santorini, would Oia or Fira be a better place to stay in?

From Santorini, we'll be taking Aegean air back to Istanbul.

Do you have any advises or suggestions on my above itineraries?

Look forward to your comments.

Many thanks.

Cheers!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travelling from Macedonia to Greece and then to Istanbul

Roughy speaking,

- Green areas are in or near the historical center

- Yellow areas are near to a cluster of brilliant museums and on the airport bus path

- Blue areas are very central again and fit many people since they are closer to poles of nightlife.

Keep in mind that blocks you see are tiny compared to what you see in the US. Walk from one part of this area to the other is appx. 15 minutes North to South and 30 minutes East to West. Acropolis Hill and Ancient Agora are right in the middle.

All these three clusters offer dozens of hotel options, from € to €€€.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 09:59