We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travelling with kids to Greece in June

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
travelling with kids to Greece in June

Hola

We are a family of four travelling (2 adults + 2 kids) planning a 12 - 15 day vacation to Greece.

Since we are travelling with kids we would not cover more than 4-5 destinations.

Kindly suggest the place to visit and hotels.

Any help on the information will be hugely appreciated.

Warm Regards

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

What sort of things are you hoping to do/see? Do you like history/architecture, natural scenery, cities/towns? Where are you thinking of flying in/out of? Athens?

How old are the kids? Will you want sandy beaches/to stay coastal?

Are you intending to hire a car at all, and/or get about from place to place by plane/ferry? The way you get around will help inform how much time you have to see things/stay in each place.

Have you any "must-see" places in mind?

Do you want to visit islands, or stay on the mainland?

Sorry for so many questions, but I think some more information will help people begin to narrow things down a little for you. At the moment I wouldn't know where to start - Greece is a huge place of many different parts :-)

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

My kids are 10 and 11 years old. We were planing to fly in Athens.(May change on recommendation)

We would definitely like to visit famous Historical places and visit sandy beaches and coastal areas if possible.

I dont have any must see destinations in mind and would like to know about places to visit.

We would like to use ferry or trains for transportation.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Warm Regards

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,586 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Naxos will be an excellent option for you - it has great reviews from families with children. It has some of the best beaches in Greece, is more laid back than the more famous islands and has a lot to offer. To get an idea of the island look up this blog from donnyb with lots of information and great photos:

mygreecetravelblog.com/2014/…

St. George beach is best suited for families with a long shallow and sandy beach in the outskirts of town. Here is to give you an idea:

http://tinyurl.com/cfzhgk

You can easily walk everywhere in town within 10-15 minutes.

The island has a mountainous and scenic interior with some 30 authentic villages around, and you will also find some archeological sites. From Naxos you may also do day excursions for a combined trip to Delos and Mykonos, a day tour to Santorini and a day for the Small Cyclades. You can also do a day visit to Paros using ordinary ferries.

greeka.com/cyclades/…naxos-tours.htm

St. George has a lot of options for accommodation - hotels, studios (apartments) etc.

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Thank You,

Your advice is much appreciated and will certainly consider it.

As already mentioned I was planning a two week vacation.

If you can suggest a few more destinations to add up.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Warm Regards.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Not sure when you're planning on having your trip?

If you're using ferries, here is a good starting point, using the link suggested (openseas) then to check routes/times for the dates you have in mind. Check the "I" (information sign by your results to see durations/stopping off points. This will help you begin to plan.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g189398-c4269/Greec…

Also, see

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g189398-c4198/Greece:…

I think before you really begin to look for hotel recommendations you should get an idea of places you want to go, and a route within your timescales. Nobody can really work that out for you, it's your preference how long you want to spend travelling. Train is not going to be a viable way of doing much of what your research or other people may suggest. And some things are going to be really difficult without car hire.

I think it would be worth putting together a basic trip plan and then coming back with it for comment/suggestions.

You might find this useful in researching and basic planning, as it groups islands together

http://www.greektravel.com/greekislands/

Please take some time to read this thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k63…

A few "itinerary" threads that might give you some ideas

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189422-i244-k73…

I would consider visiting Crete. But, it's a huge island, with Chania and Rethymnon as particularly attractive (Venetian harbour )towns, ancient (much of it Minoan) historical sites to see, plenty of beaches to go at, mountains and a pretty comprehensive bus service for getting around. You could easily spend two weeks there and only scrape the surface, so at least plan in 4-5 days if you choose to go, and research areas that may deliver a rounded visit for your family. If you were there for only a few days, you would need to focus on one part of the island to do things justice and save yourselves ridiculous amounts of travelling.

Crete (Heraklion port) is a nice short ferry ride from Santorini, with it's famous volcano caldera views. Do some googling, and see if anything appeals to you

See post no. 12 here

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189422-i244-k16…

and tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k35…

Some useful discussion here about getting from Athens to Santorini, and time-saving

tripadvisor.co.uk/…57262675

Some further discussion here on this sort of itinerary

fodors.com/community/europe/greece-itinerary…

A simple outline

greeka.com/greek-island-hopping/athens-santo…

I am quite sure that there are many more experienced travellers around Greece with suggestions on this or other itineraries, but I'm just throwing some thoughts out there to maybe get you going on some research. I'm not at all an expert in travelling around in this manner, but it's a popular way of getting to see 3 different places or so in a relatively short time.

Edited: 22 April 2014, 21:18
Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Thank you all for all the support, I am overwhelmed.

I wanted to see or visit the following Santorini, Parthenon, Mykonos and Myrtos Beach.

I read all the threads and narrowed down to staying in athens for 3 nights, 3 night in mykonos, 3 nights in Crete.

I hope this wont be too hectic and will be able to make it through.

Thanking you all for your valued support.

Warm Regards

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Hi Kirtiman80

I think with kids, three main destinations sounds a more enjoyable pace than five! Especially if one of your destinations is Crete. I do wonder though if you would be better to tag at least one more day on for Crete, as it's a long way to go from Athens for just three days on an island with such a wealth of things to do/see. Will you arrive there by ferry or plane? Into Heraklion by ferry, or flying to Chania? That might help shape what you decide to do/see there and where to choose as your base.

Have you specific things you wish to see in Mykonos? I believe (although I haven't been that it can be quite an expensive island. Some information here that might give you some ideas of things to do there that are rated highly by other TA visitors

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189430-Activi…

and some ideas of recommended places to stay (which of course, might not all be your cup of tea!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g189430-Mykonos_Cyc…

Some ideas for 3 days in Athens

tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g189400-l181-Athens_…

Some free stuff to do in Athens

tripadvisor.co.uk/Guide-g189400-l185-Athens_…

You might find information here useful too

http://www.athensguide.com/

Getting around, Athens

http://www.athenstransport.com/english/

If you do visit Crete, KTEL bus website will be your friend for getting around

http://bus-service-crete-ktel.com/

Finally, you might want to ask more specific information on your intended destinations in the particular forum areas devoted to those destinations (e.g. getting there/away, things to see/do, suitability for kids, areas to stay/hotel recommendations) - should get you more replies/input.

All the best :-)

Varanasi, India
Level Contributor
9 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

Wow!! You people are wonderful!! I never imagined there are sooo many wonderful people out there.

I am amazed by the gesture.

i will certainly update the final itinerary and get you opinion on that.

Thanks a tonne.

Warm Regards

9. Re: travelling with kids to Greece in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16