We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Istanbul and Greece in September (mid-late September). We'd like a mix of urban/cultural and beach/relaxing, which is why I thought Istanbul and one of the Greek Islands would be ideal. But there is SO much information out there about Greek Islands, I'm getting really overwhelmed and haven't made any progress.

We're planning to do 3-4 nights in Istanbul and 3-4 nights in Greece.

First of all, I want somewhere that will be fairly convenient and not outrageously expensive to get to from Istanbul. Second, somewhere that will be easy to get back to a major city so we can fly back to the States (I would rather not fly back to Istanbul just to return to the US, but I guess it might be necessary).

Third, we want really gorgeous beaches, prefer smooth (not pebbly/rocky) sand, would love access to some coves/private beach type places where you can pay a boat to take you there for an afternoon.

I love the look of Santorini (the cliffs with white houses) but I'm not sure if it also has good beaches? Would like some guidance on this issue. What about spending 2 nights on Santorini and 2 nights on a different island with better beaches? How easy/expensive is it to "island-hop"?

Our hotel budget is about $150/night- will we be able to get a decent place with breakfast for that amount?

Nightlife would also be a plus.

Thank you!

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

Naxos could be a good idea, easy accessible through Athens, has some of the most beautiful sandy beaches in Greece.

4 days is not enough for two islands, you will lose a lot of time in transportation then.

With that budget you'll have many choices.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

thank you, Naxos looks incredible. Are there any islands that are close to Naxos (where we could take a 1-2 hour ferry ride) and spend an additional 2 nights? So for example spend 3 nights in Naxos and 2 nights on another island?

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

Yes, it is possible. Paros is only one hour away by ferry for example. Also, there are many opportunities to visit islands around by daily boat trips.

Santorini is 2 hours away, but you'll need to spend additional time to reach your hotel, so if you like to combine, Paros and its main town Parikia is the best option.

4. Re: September trip Turkey-Greece looking for beach suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:16