We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

Hi; I am planning on visiting Greece as an independent traveler [24 yr old by myself].

Reading previous posts on this forum as well as posts I myself made, I just wanted to make a trip based on flexibility; keeping in mind that I am traveling in off-season in May, others recommended to me that I could make reservations as I make my way through the Greek islands, allowing opportunity for flexibility and spontaneity.

However, I am keeping tabs on hotel bookings in the few cities and islands I plan to visit [Firostefani in Santorining, Mykonos City, and Naxos] on booking.com. And most hotels have notifications of having only roughly 1-4 rooms LEFT . Therefore, I wanted to ask if it would be recommended to book all hotels of my entire stay now and ahead of time. Or would it be still relatively not too difficult to find accommodation once I reach the island [as others have mentioned that you can often find locals offering housing accomodations as soon as you arrive the port thru ferry travel].

Also, would anyone know if the prices of hostels increases as you approach the intended dates of accommodations [I know this obviously happens with flights, but not sure if it applies to hostel bookings, and if so to what extent]??

Thank you for any feedback! :)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

There will be a lot of places with availability in Mykonos Town and on Naxos in mid May, so if you show up without a reservation you will be able to find a room. Some of the highly popular hotels on both of those islands will have limited availability even in May, though (I'm referring in particular to the hotels that rank in the top 10 or 20 on TripAdvisor ... they tend to get booked up quickly). Keep in mind that not all hotels use booking.com, and even many that do also take their own reservations. So the "only 1 room left" warnings on that website don't always reflect the actual situation. You can cross-check availability if any particular hotel you're interested in has its own website with an online booking form.

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

There will be easy to find accommodation when you reach the island as you already described.

Yes, prices mosty will increase as you approach the intended dates.

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

donnyb already gave better answer :)

Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
948 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

In May you can definitely just turn up, room owners meet the ferries, we did this for over 20 yrs with no problem.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

One more question- if I decide to take a flight into Mykonos or Santorini, will it be easy to find accommodation from at the airport or will there be people outside with offers (similar to ferries)?

Mentioned in this post
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

Thanks to all for the replies..

Donnyb, I forgot to mention that I will probably be staying in hostels most of the trip; so I am guessing I probably don't have to worry about the top 10-20 hotels :-)

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
8,013 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

Definitely no worries then ... none of the top listings are for hostels!

8. Re: Booking hotels in advance vs. during stay in Greece in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:15