We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Hello All,

I appreciate these boards so much. Usually I have all my ducks in a row by now, but life has been throwing me all kinds of stumbling blocks lately. Having said that here is our plan thus far.

June 12 fly out of Atlanta to Athens Greece arriving in the evening. Cab to hotel Hera.

June 13 get up exhausted and take a tour of local sites (any recommendations?)

Considered Free Athens Tours, Athens Walking Tours and this one meetuinathens which is a bike tour that I can find little about

June 14 take flying dolphin to Hydra... now heres the mess Should I buy the tickets now? or at least ahead of time?

What is the best way to get to the port from the city center.

June 16 return to Athens, Art Gallery Hotel.

June 17 more sites... what MUST we see that the guide on the previous day did not show us? Afternoon, Hamas baths (yahoooo

June 18, leave on overnight trip to Meteora already booked and paid (tour)

June 19, leave at the crack of dawn to Malaga Spain. Arrive in Malaga Spain that night I have the rest sort of figured out.

Suggestions for small items that people in Greece like from the U.S.?

Many thanks!!

6 Replies | Jump

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Best way to get from Downtown Athens to Pireus, is Line 1 (green line) of the Athens subway. Probably you will have to get to Syggrou Fix Station, and take metro Line 2(Red) and change to metro Line one at Omonoia.

Bus no 040 from Syggrou-Fix station is another option, but it gets crowded and is a bit slower.

As for local sites, your hotel is a stone's throw away from most of them. Acropolis, Plaka, Filopappou Hiil, even Thisio are within a "walking distance", at least by Athenian standards

Now for the flying dolfin thing, I would advise you to buy tickets beforehand, most companies operating passenger vessels in Greece have reliable websites that allow the online purchase of tickets

Small items from the us Greek people like? Uhm lets see. A bottle of American Whisky could be desirable.

Refrigerator stamps from your hometown too. Maybe some DVDs of American series (with subtitle options) (Breaking Bad, GoT, True Detective are revelled series here)...

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
429 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Half of the population of Greece are smokers.

I wish I had brought a carton of US cigarettes with me, as I *could* have given them to various guides etc. whenever they refused to accept cash gratuities.

Now that I know this --- the next time we go to Europe, we plan to bring cigarettes!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Wow.. good point! I have never smoked what kind do they like do you think?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

Great ideas! Do our DVDs work over there tho, I know in Italy they do not.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

what about for teens... we are staying on Hydra with a family and they have a 13 year old girl. I know in Spain the kids love tootsie rolls. So the consensus is to wing it on the metro to the port versus a cab? I will be leaving from the Art Gallery Hotel not the Hera. I am at times directionally challenged thus trying to make a plan. Crazy question, does one need a hat over there... really? I live in a super hot state and never wear a hat. Got the thing of no shorts, etc., trying to pack light. Thanks again.

6. Re: Mother and Daughter Trip, need guidance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2015, 06:16