We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel?

Cypress, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel?

Due to political tensions, riots, etc., is it safe to travel to Greece? I would love to see the country. However, I want to be safe than sorry.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel?

Hi,

This question raises its head again.

Yes, YES, It is safe. Obviously, as in the States, there are areas that are not so pleasant but they are not on the tourist beat.

There are demonstrations not riots. Thousands of people travel and enjoy Greece every year. There is a US official website that apparently mentions these alleged riots. I think it is just "covering its back".

Come and enjoy Greece. Its people, culture and history.

Bob

Cypress, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel?

Thanks, Bob. I will. I look forward to my trip. Like you said, I'm sure that these demonstrations happen in some areas only. Are there any particular areas to avoid?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel?

There rarely even are any demonstrations anymore either.

Cypress, California
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel?

I see that you are an expert on Cephalonia. Maybe you can help. I am planning a 2-week vacation. I was thinking of seeing Athenes and two islands. Are 2-weeks proper? How many days should I spend in each of the destinations? Should/can I include one more island or a day-trip somewhere?

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
575 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel?

The best answer to your question is to say, "just look around you in the Greek forums here". If it was unsafe to travel to Greece (and I note you ask about "Greece" in general and not just Athens), there wouldn't literally be hundreds of people asking and answering questions EVERY DAY about everything from food to ferries, ancient sights to Greek dancing, flight transfers to hiring cars, renting rooms to liveliest party islands, etc, etc. (or the people counting down the "sleeps" until they land in Greece for their annual holiday).

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel?

Hi,

TripAdvisor have nominated me as a Cephalonia "expert". However you really ought to ask your question as a new thread. All I can say is that Athens plus Cephalonia would be fine. Athens plus another island plus Cephalonia would not do justice to one of the three. Remember that, in general, moving from one island (or Athens) to another means you lose a day travelling.

You could certainly spend a week, or two, ...or three or .... on Cephalonia!

Bob

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,179 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel?

We've been travelling to Greece since the early '80's and the nearest thing I've ever seen to a riot is when a bar ran out of beer one time!

Greece is one of the safest and friendliest countries you could hope to visit, don't let a bit of scaremongering put you off.

8. Re: Is it safe to travel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:16