We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Crete from England

Tamworth, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Driving to Crete from England

Hi

My family and I are preparing to drive to Crete this June. Does anyone have an information on things like, best route? toll charges? any countries we should avoid? best places to plan a stop over?

Also how long did it take you?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Kyle

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,949 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Crete from England

Hi Kyle

Never having done it, I was intrigued to see the routes people take, so did a little googling out of curiosity(and just in case you don't get replies from people here that have driven the journey). This is a little out of date where money is mentioned, I guess, but some useful tips

britsincrete.net/about-crete/…375-gettinghere

Another useful starting point? (especially re. the via Michelin site)

www.travel.creteforyou.com/crete_by_road.html

Some good recent discussion here, and further links (although the question is about the journey in reverse)

www.livingincrete.net/board/viewtopic.php…

Hopefully, someone with direct experience will be along shortly!

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Crete from England

I've driven a few times from the north of England to Greece (not Crete) and taken around 4 days stopping overnight in northern France, Chamonix, Ancona and a night on the ferry to Patras. This seems to be as good a way as any and even though the tolls through France and Italy are high, it could cost a lot more in petrol and overnight stops by taking a longer route.

You could however also consider driving through Germany (no tolls) and take a ferry from Trieste to Patras, drive to Gythio and take the weekly boat from there to Kissamos in Crete. You'd have to time your arrival for Wednesday when the boat leaves at 15.30. The crossing takes 7 hours and cost about €60 for the car and €23 per passenger. I'd certainly choose that ferry as opposed to one leaving from Piraeus.

Tamworth, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Crete from England

Thank you both so much

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Crete from England

I've made the assumption that you'll also be driving back but this may not be the case. If you are thinking of importing the car, It's not a simple procedure and you might do better to buy one locally. Voice of experience speaking.

5. Re: Driving to Crete from England

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16