We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4am arrival, cruise in afternoon

Shellharbour...
6 posts
Save Topic
4am arrival, cruise in afternoon

Hi there,

My midnight from Madrid flight arrives in athens at 4am and join a cruise from pireaus at 4pm.

Need somewhere to sleep? On a budget? I'm really surprised the airport doesn't have arrival lounge or sleep pods/chairs etc.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4am arrival, cruise in afternoon

It's a medium sized, very efficient airport that basically works as a quick efficient stop over. Luggage retrieval is fast and not many night flights till now.

Arriving at 4am, you 'll probably get your luggage etc. around 04.30am and then get either a taxi to the center ot the 24/7 X95 bus. Both work, both are easy to use. Taxi to the center will cost 50 euros, bus will cost 5 euros per person.

Where you 'll get some rest depends overall in how you want this day to evolve. If you want to get a glimpse of Athens get a budget room somewhere in the center or wait it out, get some rest for 3 - 4 hours, do some simple sightseeing and then get a taxi to the cruise ship.

Another alternative is to get X96 bus or a taxi to Piraeus seaport, lock luggage there and either get a cheap place in Piraeus or even wait it out. I don't advise this, since with a night witohout sleep most people would feel tired, a bit disorientated and. . . you 'll need that sleep at some point. . .

Airport is one side of the peninsula, seaport is the other side of the peninsula, Athens center is in the middle.

If you want a cheap and clean place in Athens center in a good location to crash for some hours and do a quick walk, i 'd think of Astor Hotel. It's not in the lower range but it is a decent, clean place with good reviews. Access from bus stop in case you use the bus stop is very very easy. www.booking.com/hotel/gr/astor.en-gb.html

Around Syndagma Sq. you can find 15 - 20 hotels, from € to €€€. This is where you want to stay if you stay in the center and use the X95 bus. Availability depends on the date of visit, it's a very busy year for Athens, getting again quite popular.

Make a quick look in www.booking.com . I'd definitely avoid most of the hotels in the 0-49€ range, they are usually around Omonoia Sq., not a good location for a big number of reasons.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,352 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4am arrival, cruise in afternoon

Athens airport arrivals

http://tinyurl.com/a3rtoek

Piraeus main port

http://tinyurl.com/d5je2l

3. Re: 4am arrival, cruise in afternoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 06:16