We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Townsville...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Hello, I'm wanting to get from Athens to Rome in July. Can anyone comment on the superfast ferry from Patras to Ancona? Im weighing up the long cheaper ferry vs a two hour flight!

thanks

sara

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

It's definitely cheaper, faster and more comfortable to fly. Al Italia's prices are very reasonable, also there are some new lcc (Easyjet, Vueling) flying from Rome to Athens.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 22:51
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

It's definitely cheaper, faster and more comfortable to fly. Al Italia's prices are very reasonable, also there are some new lcc (Easyjet, Vueling) flying from Rome to Athens.

Edited: 28 May 2014, 22:51
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Hey and welcome Sara:-) Totally agree with Marjan J.. the trip via ferry.. including getting to Patras from Athens.. along with the train travel up to Rome.. will take a good day and a half at the least.. a flight is barely 2 hours.. you can also check www.aegeanair.com/ who oftentimes have some fabulous deals to rival ferry costs.. and don't forget to include the cost of travel to Patras and to Rome;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Related to this topic, I am planning on coming over from italy (Naples) and am planning on doing a loop around the Peloponese, seeing athens, and island hopping to Naxos, Santorini, and Crete. I was wondering if it would be better to the train to Brindisi, and the ferry to Patras, go along the Peloponese to Athens, then island hop to Crete and fly home to America from Herkalion, or would it be better to fly Naples to Herkalion, island hop to Athens, to the Peloponese loop, then fly home from athens.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Hi Patrik,

You are hijacking a thread for a specific question about transport. Your questions are a lot wider and to get the right attention you should rather post this on your own by using the "Ask a question" button.

Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

I apologise, I'm new to tripadvisor, so I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to. Does it really matter where I post though, anyway, this form has been inactive as of late.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,187 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

To post on your own is the best option when you ask many questions which are not related to the original post. You add a lot of other travel questions other than the original (about ferry vs. flight Greece - Italy), which is why others will drop looking at this thread according to its topic heading.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Hey.. and welcome to you Patrick S:-) Totally understandable.. not that easy being new here and learning the *ropes*, lol;-) Anyway, both your options look good.. I've done the overnight ferry run from Brindisi over to the isle of Corfu.. from where I flew to Athens.. nonetheless, keep in mind that if you're looking to finish off with the isles and fly back to the States from Heraklion.. look for a 1-way ticket back to Athens via www.aegeanair.com/ Do not look to fly Heraklion/States.. the fare will be exhorbitant, lol! Am guessing you may have your trans already booked departing from Athens?! If so.. even if not, look to spend your time in Athens at the finally of your trip.. or at least fly in the day before your trans.. bottom line, not looking to connect same day from isle flight to trans:-) Best.. and EnJOY!

Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

Okay, thanks....I have athens states flight booked...luftantha/united via frankfurt. Based on your suggestions, I'm thinking (if I'm going to fly for sure, anyway, and want Athens to be the finale) that I will fly to Herkalion, then island hop to Piraeus, do the Peloponese loop, then finish in Athens and fly home. Is this loop around Peloponese--Napfolio, Mani Peninsula, Olympia, Delphi, and back to Athens possible using public transortation, or should i rent a car.

Thanks,

patrick

10. Re: Ferry vs flight - Greece to Italy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2016, 05:15