We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

Toronto, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

I booked a SeaJets ferry from Ios to Mykonos on May 29th at 12:35pm through the website directferries.co.uk. When I arrived at the ticket kiosk to print my tickets they informed me that the ferry was cancelled due to bad weather - it was cloudy and very windy that day. I booked a larger ferry that was still running at a later time and was told that I would get a refund for my SeaJets ferry. I emailed directferries but they informed me that SeaJets said the ferry was not cancelled and ran on time as scheduled. I tried emailing SeaJets directly but have gotten no response yet. Is there anything I can do to get a refund? Is there any way for me to prove it was canceled?

Any help would be appreciated.

Shepperton, United...
Level Contributor
752 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

So, four things...

1/ http://www.openseas.gr/ which can give historical info on ferry movements doesn't show the Seajets option either,assume you got the Hellenic Highspeed 5 car carrying catamaran. Not sure this counts as evidence but I'm sure Seajets will get back to you eventually, esp. if you keep asking.

2/ Large carcarrying catamarans or ferries are better able to deal with heavy seas, so if you've got the option, always book these.

3/ In low season, don't pre-book the ferry, then you haven't got this problem if they're cancelled. Book as you go.

4/ If you must book, book direct with the ferry company so your contract is with them,rather than a third party agent.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

Actually, openseas.gr does not list any 12:35 Seajet ferries from Ios to Mykonos before 4 June but according to a pdf timetable posted on the Seajets website there should have been the Seajet2 on this route from 20 May. I can't believe the bad weather lasted two weeks... So either openseas.gr records are incomplete or Seajets cancelled this route (it seems that Seajet2 did not even leave Piraeus in this period) and directferries.co.uk failed to notify you, and are now fobbing you off hoping that you'll just quietly go away. Unfortunately that's the problem with booking via third party agents. When things start going wrong, it's much more difficult than dealing directly with the ferry company. Without the intermediary, Seajets would have just refunded the money to your card.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,747 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

Your contract was between you and directferries.co.uk so it's from them you have to try and get a refund.

A UK company may simply deny that there was a cancellation knowing you will not pursue them thru an English court for such a small amount, even more so when you are not in UK.

N.B.

http://www.openseas.gr/ does not confirm the running of any ferry at all, it's no proof at all.

The bottom line is you have to put this down to experience and move on.

The general consensus from regular punters is to book direct with the Greek ferry company or purchase ferry tickets whilst in Greece.

In that case you go back to the Greek agency and get your refund. I've had to do this on very rare occasions in 30 years, but always got a refund from the Greek agency where the ticket was bought. OK they were a bit huffy, extra work and all that, but the refund was done.

4. Re: Greek Ferry was cancelled, now they're denying it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 06:16