We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

Hello,

My wife and I will be coming to Greece for the first time at the end of August/September and we are planning on going straight to Mykonos for 4 nights, 4 nights Santorini, 5 Nights Milos, 3 nights Athens before returning home.

Are we spend too much or too little time on any one Island? We are curious about Mykonos and while not in love with the party scene, we're not averse to it either. Santorini has always been a dream however we're not sure what to expect and we've picked Milos for the beaches and something further off the beaten path (at least compared to Mykonos/Santorini).

I'm curious to hear any suggestions from those of you with some more experience.

Thank you

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

I think you have a wonderful trip planned. It will give you something from very different islands, and Athens at the end,.

- Are you flying to Mykonos or ferrying? I guess flying immediatelly makes a lot of sense.

- Mykonos -> Santorini is possible on a ferry or a flight. Olympic Air has commenced operation for this short flight on a seasonal basis, so take a look here: https://www.olympicair.com/en/OlympicAir/New…

- Milos is wonderful. Simply.

- Athens is great too, pick wisely location to stay. I 'd head to the very center, Plaka area or Acropolis Museum area, while Monastiraki and Thission are good areas to stay. Big place, coming from NYC you 'll familiar with big cities, still staying in Plaka or near it which is the Old Quarters you get the best of the city and walking accerss to the sites.

All in all i would not change anything. It's rare to see well proportioned trips, usually people try to cram in more. Keep it like this. . .

The only thing i 'd probably change would be to make Milos a 4 nights stay in order to add a day for Athens. It has a lot lot lot of things to see while an option of a mainland trip or visiting a nearby island would add to the whole trip. Delphi, Nafplion are the two basic mainland day tgrips offered from here, while Hydra or Aegina islands can also be done as day trips. So, just think of adding a day or two to Athens, not necessarilly to devote more time for Athens itself but to add a mini side trip.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 14:07
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

So, basically i 'd suggest a 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 instead of a 4 - 4 - 5 - 3.

Possible ideas for a day trip from Athens:

Delphi will give you a good hint of how some of the mainland is, greener landscape than the islands /

Nafplion and Argholis have great archaeological interest and a wonderful town / castle /

Aegina is an easy day trip from Athens with a wonderful town and even an ancient Temple to check /

Hydra is super quaint and screams photogenic.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 14:11
New York City, New...
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

We'll be flying straight to Mykonos with a very late arrival the first evening.

Taking the ferry from Mykonos to Santorini. We're undecided between the fast enclosed ferry which would give us a few more hours the first day on Santorini or transferring in Naxos to the Blue Star to arrive on an open deck with views of the Caldera. Since we'll be staying on the Caldera side in Oia we'll still have the view but from a different perspective.

We have a very early flight out of Athens on the return and have decided to stay close to Syntagma Sq to catch the bus out to the airport.

Thank you for the suggestions

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

I 'd take the slow ferry.

Fast ferry is ok, still it's not that you are running to catch a meeting, nor that you have a very very tight timed visit.

Approach from the sea is something that i always enjoy when going to Santorini and this is not possible to have from a fast catamaran.

Moreover, bigger ferries are much much more stable. Both companies offer very very good vessels and are very reliable, still ride on the faster boat is a bit more bumpy.

Syndagma is good to stay in Athens. It offers you good walking options to the sites or museums, while proximity to to the X95 bus stop is a + indeed. All areas in the center are more or less close to each other, so you need 20 - 30 minutes to cross the center where the big majority of sites are.

5. Re: Help with itinerary - Mykonos, Santorini, Milos, Athens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 06:17