We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Hi we are a couple in our forties looking for a simple, quiet, romantic escape to the Greek islands. We have camping gear and plan to island hop and see as much as we can over a month from the end of July.

We would be interested to hear recommendations for sleeping fishing village type places, deserted beaches, quiet places to camp, naturist beaches.

We would really like to avoid busy family places, any areas with nightclubs or lots of nightlife.

We would rather hang out with the locals and see real Greek life, take in a bit of culture and enjoy the views.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

I can tell you from experience (albeit it many years ago when I was an impoverished student), that sleeping in a tent in the heat of August in Greece is not actually a lot of fun! Stifling, in fact!

Be aware, too, that "wild camping" is not allowed. If you do find a quiet spot, make sure that you don't upset any locals - one reason that wild camping is frowned upon is the very real fear of fire. The ground in the summer is like a tinder box.

Actually, your best bet to "hang out" with locals is to rent rooms from them. That way you will meet people.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

We did plan to do a mixture of B n B and camping depending on what is available where we are at the time. We were also under the impression that it was ok to camp on some beaches.

If that's not the case do many of the islands actually have camp sites?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Try this:

www.campingreece.gr/camgingreece-en.pdf

Looks like there are a few around the Naxos/Paros/Ios/Mykonos area which could tie in with your naturist beach requirement. But nowhere with a campsite will be quiet in August, or there would be no point in them opening!

I'd agree with the other comment - you can get a simple room for not much more than camping fees.

The very first time I went to Greece, in 1977, I camped in Crete in August. Most of the time it was too hot to sleep inside the tent...

Volos, Greece
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

hello!

we seem to enjoy similar types of holidays as i love wild camping and naturist beaches. been doing it for over 12 years now and never have encountered any problem whatsoever(but i know where i m going) However you will be coming at the worst period ever(sorry to disappoint you)as end of july and whole of august is a nightmare for me (and like minded travelers as well). quite spots will not be available (they will be taken /occupied by earlier campers) although i am not saying that it is impossible. i could recommend some places but there would not be in the cyclades. however this is the highest season in every part of greece so no matter where you go you will not find or feel whatever you have in mind. again i apologize for being so negative about it but in order to truly enjoy what you mentioned in your post is best to visit on june and september..having said that here are my recomendations for places that still will be packed but mostly with like minded people..Gavdos island(not in the cyclades), samothraki island(not in the cyclades), Small Cyclades- a complex of small islands near Naxos (IRAKLIA island, KOUFONISSIA, Donoussa), you can also try Amorgos (beautiful island but gets quite touristy), Nysiros(if you have transportation ) and Anafi(wonderful place but i am not sure if you can free camp anymore-naturist beaches are excellent though). I am off at the end of june for my summer holidays in Donoussa! i will let you know how it was.

sorry for the long post. whatever you do, enjoy!

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
536 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Steve - we may have even been at the same campsite on Crete at the same time!!

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Thank you all for the information.

Sadly I'm a teacher and so my holiday times are restricted and the summer is the only time where I can take a month out to explore, so I suppose real peace and quiet will be hard to find anywhere.

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Joanne, didn't you mean - I'm a teacher and so, sadly, my holiday times are restricted? 9/10, must try harder! Sorry, but I couldn't resist that.

Bob

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

yeah thanks Bob lol

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Do let me know how your holiday goes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backpacking camping island hopping advice

Is it possible do you know to buy GoSystems gas for the single gas stove on any of the islands