We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Hopping Tips?

London, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Island Hopping Tips?

Hi all!

My boyfriend and I am planning on doing some Greek island hopping for 2 weeks in August. This is what we have planned so far:

Santorini (3 days)

Naxos (3 days)

Antiparos (1 day)

Milos (2 days)

We are then flying from Milos to Corfu and spending 5 more days there.

We are in our early 30s, and want a good mix of tranquility and nice beaches, hiking, little villages, but also the odd bar and cocktail from time to time. One thing we definitely do not want is to squeeze in between other tourists on an overcrowded beach, or spending our days in huge beach resorts.

I would have liked to spend 1 night in Folegandros or Anafi, but the ferry schedule looked awkward and i reckon it would have been too hectic in such short a time frame.

So here are my questions:

1) How possible is it to do a day trip to Anafi or Folegandros from Santorini? And is it even worth it?

2) I know it's high season, and I know that our itinerary includes some of the most popular islands. BUT - what are the chances of escaping mass tourism and experiencing some authenticity? Where should we pick our hotels? (e.g. in Naxos we have a preliminary booking in Moutsouna, in the hope that it's less crowded there).

3) Are there any other small islands we could do a day trip to, from any of the above mentioned islands? Maybe from Corfu?

4) Would you substitute any of the above islands with another one instead?

Thanks so much in advance!

Nina

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,592 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island Hopping Tips?

Moutsouna area (photos taken in April)

http://tinyurl.com/39v4yuz

Edited: 19 June 2014, 19:28
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,340 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island Hopping Tips?

Hi,

My assumption has to be you have never done any Greek island hopping at all to come up with that itinerary.

Spending just one night/day on Anafi/Antiparos/Folegandros is just pointless. It can done, the NEL ferry arrives in Anafi around 21:00 and leaves 07:00 next morning....

That the ferry forces you to stay a number of days on Anafi you will need that to do any hiking, thus an excellent prospect. Same is true for Folegandros as well.

You say you want hiking, then just stay a ridiculously short time, your question 1) is very odd/contradictory, it makes no sense at all.

A) Anyway here's a practical suggestion based on a direct UK <> Santorini flight, 2 weeks:

Santorini (to whenever the Anafi ferry goes) > Anafi(2/3 days) > Folegandros (3/4 days) > Ios(2/4 days) > Santorini (2/3 days).

B) An alternative suggestion: Santorini > Amorgos (3 days) > (4 possible small cyclades) > Naxos (3/4 days) > Ios (2/4 days)> Santorini (2/3 days).

Ios and Santorini is put in there for your bars and cocktails and UK flight, Ios Chora will be heaving in August, however it's a good contrast to the others, and you don't have to go to Chora in the evening.

2),3) and 4) have been covered. Corfu is another holiday. Huge mass tourist resorts are non existent in those islands,

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island Hopping Tips?

Milos is a lovely island, but really not worth going to for "two days" (one or two nights?). With a car you can really explore Milos and find quiet coves that involve a bit of a climb down and back up, but you are not going to have time to find those in just a couple of days.

4. Re: Island Hopping Tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 06:17