We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Greece

5 posts
Save Topic
10 days in Greece

Hi,

Please help me sort out my Greece vacation. I would love to know what is a must see. My wife and I will be going from Aug 3 to Aug 13. About a day and half will be travel from Chicago to Athens. We are from Florida, so we are not interested in lounging on beaches. But we love historic as well as natural sights, good food, some good activities, and maybe some dancing. We are both in the upper 30's and in good shape. I was thinking, Athens, Crete, and Santorini.

Thanks

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Greece

Hi Alen,

I think you might need to be more specific to get better response. Coming the distance, it is always recommended that you fly immediately upon arrival to your first destination. Save Athens for last to ensure no complications for your return flight. With about 8 days in total, keep in mind that each move takes the better part of a day. Once you've narrowed it down a bit, more help will be forthcoming. Happy planning!

Karen

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Greece

hi and welcome,l..is it this august or 2015?

ike greecefanottawa said,stick to 2 places..athens and santorini is a good combination,forget crete,it needs more time .3 days in athens and 5 in santorini seems a good plan.

in athens stay one of these areas..plaka,monastiraki,syntagma,akropolis..all central (where all the archeological sights are) and served by metro stations..

in santorini stay in one of the 4 vilalges that offer the famous cliff views santorini is famous for..a short description of them at the first answer of this thread.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189433-i245-k55…

avoid the ferry,it takes for ever,fly from athens to santorini and back..if you book early the tickets will be cheaper than the ferries..tickets here..

http://en.aegeanair.com/

check their low fare calendar for cheaper tickets..also you can sign up for their newsletters,they alert you for special offers via email..

things to do in athens

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189400-i194-k47…

things to do in santorini

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189433-Activi…

for anything more feel free to ask

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Greece

Hey and welcome Alen B:-) If you'll be departing the States (Chicago?) on the 3rd, you'll be arriving Athens on the 4th.. so with a departure schedules for the 13th, you're looking at 9 nights.. basically, 8 full days here;-) Have to agree with the good folks that you've got allot on your plate there especially if considering Crete.. which is humongous and a destination on it's own! So, seeing how your interests include historic sites.. unless you have a specific destination in mind.. say Knossos in Crete, would deep-6 it .. for now;-)

Having said that, if Knossos is indeed on your wish list.. look to fly directly to Heraklion upon arrival off the long haul.. these short puddle jumper flights take barely 50 min to the isles.. check www.olympicair.com/ as well as www.aegeanair.com/ that have merged and already been mentioned.. spend a couple of days to check out the site, museum, etc.. then you can take the ferry over to Santorini.. ferry schedules can be found at www.gtp.gr/ www.openseas.gr/ where the journey can take as little as a couple of hours!

You can either ferry or fly back to Athens from Santorini bearing in mind that the flight takes about 40 min as opposed to a ferry ride.. depending on vessel, that can take anywhere from around 5-8+ hours! Keeping the itinerary running consecutively this way is a huge timesaver.. no backtracking.. leaving Athens for the finale.. when you'll also be about ready to take on this magnificent City with all the walking/climbing involved.. having been done with lag and gotten into zone on the isles;-) Best.. and EnJOY!

4. Re: 10 days in Greece

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:17