We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Topic
Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

Would appreciate help on thre minimum transfer time in Athens Airport from an arriving international flight to a domestic outbound flight. What is the legal minimum, and, more important, the practical minimum. Thanks!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

Hey and welcome orcabhinav:-) The airport in Athens is new, modern and super user friendly all under 1 roof or terminal building.. you can check it out at www.aia.gr/ Easily maneuverable but nevertheless, a good time spread.. in order to cover for any incoming delays.. as well as deal with passport/customs formalities.. is about a 3 hour time spread;-) Of course, it can be done in less, but with on time arrival/departure, this will give you more than enough time after formalities to meander about a bit.. grab a bite.. head outside for some air;-) No need to rush or stress.. you're on vaca;-)) Best.. and EnJOY!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,700 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

Athens Airport is an "all under the same roof" airport. 1 terminal and all flights commencing from the same spot.

Minimum transfer time we advise is two hours. That means avoiding to book a flight with a take off less than two hours after landing time. 3 hours is even better.

It is a fast, reliable, efficient airport and, truthfully connections do take less than this, still, leaving some buffer time between landing and next take off gives some time in case of a delayed departure from your original airport.

Athens Airport has rare delays, still many big international airports do have significant delays, so plan accordingly for some delayed arrival. I 'd consider a three hours gap a very sensible option and, sincerely more than enough. I have made connections even in less time when it was needed.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,700 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

He he, similar / identical suggestion :-))

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

.. well, you know what they say about great minds?;-)) Enjoyin'!

Bath
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

So a perfect transfer time is about 90 mins. The formal minimum, as said above, is 2 hours. Can be done in 30 mins in emergency...but from experience wouldn't recommend it!! I wouldn't risk any shorter time than 2 hours if transferring to/from domestic flight to budget carrier such as Easyjet /Ryanair.. but if transferring to scheduled carrier especially Star Alliance airlines then maybe 90 mins if that's your only option. To reassure you, we have missed connections through delayed flights, and always have been transferred on to other flights when using scheduled airlines..usually without extra cost.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

..I have to disagree that 90 minutes is the perfect transfer time;-) It can be in some cases.. but not for those coming in off long hauls.. where de-planing along with immigration/passport control and luggage retrieval can take up to an hour.. and even if on time, chances are the gate for ongoing domestic will be closing by the time you get there.. and most certainly no way in 30 min.. takes about 10 min to even unload a large craft getting pax to passport control;-) Keep Enjoyin'!

Edited: 12 July 2014, 15:20
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

Thanks a ton guys! Super helpful as always :-)

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

I assume you're dealing with two separate tickets rather than a through booking. I'm pretty sure that on a through ticket, it's up to the airline to make your accommodations if you miss the connection.

As others have said, Athens is very nice for an airport. I usually give myself about a 3-4 hour layover; for me, I'd rather not have to spend my time on the flight over worrying about whether it'll land in time to make the connection. On one trip, I was able to make a 30 minute transfer; I'd booked a 4 PM flight to Paros and checked in as soon as I got in to Athens. Turns out there were 2 seats available on a noon flight which I was able to make.

Give yourself a lot of time, and maybe they can put you on an earlier flight if one's available.

9. Re: Athens airport transfer time -- int to domestic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16