We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chania - spending money

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Chania - spending money

Hi

I was wondering if someone could help me?

How much spending money would a young couple need for a week in chania? We are staying in A. Marina. We will be eating out every evening, drinking and going on a couple of trips to explore. Is £1000 enough?

Cheers

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,785 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chania - spending money

Not sure if you're buying lunch and breakfast too?

I would say that a good evening meal (starters/main courses) with house wine (and we have a coffee and a brandy after) should set you back maybe 40 euros = 280 euros for the week. Lunch tends to cost us around 20 euros for two in a taverna, sharing a starter, and with a cold beer. However, you can eat much cheaper, picking up a sandwich or cheese/spinach pie at a bakery or a gyros each for under 10 euros for two. You may find some places doing set evening menus for a fixed price (two courses and a drink) - this will be advertised on a board outside, if it's the case, and could work out extremely reasonable, perhaps 20-25 euros for two.

We self-cater, and for ease and cost, we get in Greek yogurt, fruit, eggs for omelettes and lovely fresh bread/croissants from a bakery, costs peanuts.

Drinking- depends what you drink and where. You'll find some happy hours if you like cocktails. Local house wine can be bought by the half-litre (or litre) carafe. Half litre around the 4 euro mark. Mythos lager (my partner assures me it's good), you can get a large bottle (500 ml) for maybe 3 euros (didn't pay much attention to the price). If you have an apartment/fridge in your hotel room, you will find that supermarket process for drink is substantially cheaper than here in general.

Excursions, not sure of the price (and not sure of where you want to go), as we hire a car. But, you'll find them on offer in your resort, and these will be cheaper than those offered by your tour operator.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chania - spending money

Thank you so much for your reply! I was thinking of taking £500 (each) but my boyfriend says that is too much and said £400 would be better. We obviously want to go and visit a few places by bus or boat, we will be eating out every evening but will be doing lunch on the cheap really.

3. Re: Chania - spending money

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2015, 05:15