We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two or three weeks Greece: what to visit?

Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two or three weeks Greece: what to visit?

My girlfriend and I are planning to go to Greece for two or three weeks. Now we have the idea to only visit Crete. I searched for the islands top 10 and found that Crete is not among them. We are mainly interested in history and nature and do not care about beaches (can be nice for a one or two days though) or nightlife. What do you suggest us to do?

Washingon DC area
Level Contributor
1,802 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two or three weeks Greece: what to visit?

For history and nature, Crete would be ideal for 2 or 3 weeks (or more). It's history spans 4 millennia, from the Minoans to WW 2; the southwest coast is spectacular for hiking; the White Mountains are surrealistically stunning; and it has some of the most picturesque harbor towns anywhere.

But much of the rest of Greece can make that claim - Lesvos/Chios/Samos would make a great trip. As would Milos/Naxos/Amorgos, etc. So would the Peloponnese.

My suggestion is to ignore ratings (especially one that would not put Crete in the Top 10), and just research the different islands. Matt Barrett has a pretty good overview of the country:

http://www.greektravel.com/

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
5,009 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two or three weeks Greece: what to visit?

For history and nature I think it has to be either Crete or the Peloponnese - for me, the Peloponnese has the edge as it has more, and more beautiful, ancient sites; and much less mass tourism. And the landscapes of the Arcadian mountains are possibly the most beautiful I've ever seen.

3. Re: Two or three weeks Greece: what to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2015, 06:17