We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

I have found lots of great advice and information in these forums but with dozens and dozens of islands to choose from, I'm still feeling too overwhelmed to narrow down travel plans.

My husband and I (late 20s) and my parents (early 60s) are considering a 2-week trip to the Greek Islands. Looking for beachfront lodging in a quiet and comfortable location away from the crowds. We would prefer spending a few consecutive days in the same location, taking in the local atmosphere, so we would prefer not to island-hop, but may split the time between week-long stays in 2 different locations.

A clean swimmable beach and towns/villages to explore within walking distance are a priority. Places for light hiking and shady areas are desirable. We don't plan to do any heavy-duty sight-seeing and don't care for the nightlife scene. Just want a place off-the-beaten-path with great nature and opportunities to explore local life, customs, etc. At the same time, we'd want worry-free and comfortable accommodations.

So far, I have zeroed in on Skopelos (namely Adrina Hotel - http://www.skopelos-island.gr/ ), Rhodes (Lindos Mare Hotel - www.lindosmare.gr/english/overview.html ) and Oia (not sure about lodging yet). Adrina seems to fit the bill, but my concern with Lindos Mare is that it's next to a highway and you need to drive or take a cab to town.

Finally, we would most likely go in late May-early June '07, and so a beach with water warm enough to swim would be great.

Are there other islands/lodgings I should be considering given our preferences?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Well my personal take will defintely have you staying at the Adrina in Skopelos...I am on that isle every year in Sept (at least) and as a matter of fact, will be there w/another couple (that I recommended LAST year on their honeymoon and they're returning!)...this year in May!..but must warn you that the waters will still be on the 'cool' side.. the best time for swimming is actually in Sept/Oct as the sea gets warmed up all Summer from the sun:) The hotel pool's water is also the real stuff from the sea so that, too, will be on the chilly side...doable, depending upon your tolerance...I always take a dunk but never 'hang' in there for too long! Although daily weather temps can get hot, it does cool down pretty quickly along with the sun when it sets...Rhodes being further South will most likely be warmer or hotter in air temps but water here as well on the cool side:) Am sure GB or someone familiar w/Rhodes will kick in here with some advice for you:) Happy Planning and Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Not to confuse you...but you may want to look at these as well but admit Adrina is prime:) www.lithanemon.gr and www.skopelosweb.gr/kohilivillas/index.html / never stayed at the latter but looks quite impressive:) Enjoy!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Litsa,

I was hoping you'd reply to my post, since I've learned so much from your other posts here! In fact, it may be from one of your posts that I learned about Adrina :)

Lithanemon Apts via the link you sent look amazing! This place may very well be our style. Though I'm a bit confused why they don't mention having beach access anywhere on their site while the photos suggest that they're near a beach...

What about Skopelos in general? Would there be enough to do and see in 1-2 weeks? What are some good places to walk around while there? What are your favorite places on Skopelos?

Not exactly related to my initial query, but seeing that you are in NYC (I am too), is $900+ airfare (1 layover) really the best deal for late May-early June, in your experience?

Thanks so much! :)

Elena

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Hey Elena...Lithanemon is a beautiful property on Agnontas Beach.. I went to 'peruse' the property last year and ended meeting up w/the owner (another Litsa!)...wonderful gal who showed my about 5 of the 9 apartments on the property...but in writing this I just remembered she opens in June...you may want to split the stay w/this property though for early June...Agnontas Beach is one of my favs on the isle...it is quite small but set in a picture perfect setting...fishing village where the sea has an incredible aquamarine color to it...only 1 cafe and 3 tavernas all lined up on the waterfront...1 mini-market and a kiosk and that's about it! Talk about quaint AND quiet:) Suggest you find yourself a map of the isle somehow!...From the other quaint fishing village of Loutraki (which is also another entry boat for the ferries) all the way to Skopelos Town, you will find MANY beautiful villages along the way and crystal clear water/beaches...Adrina is located smack in the middle of the isle w/in walking distance to my Fav beach on the isle.. Panormos..3 ON the beach tavernas here side by side plus an additional one called 'Blo' a little fancier at the end of the beach.. small village behind the beach w/a couple of markets, some more tavernas...that's about it...magical! Further along, if you're interested would be happy to advise on some great local eats, shopping, etc.. or anything esle I can help you with....You've got me going now! Just love this isle.....and re the air...give yourself a break and get on Olympic's site and play w/your dates...you can still find fares under $1000. departing JFK mid-end May coming back in June DIRECT:) Keep Enjoin':)

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Can I just add to Litsa’s comment, British airways has currently an offer in Greece for flights to the United States starting from 239 euro for New York. Only prerequisite would be one of the two flights on a return ticket has to be before June the 30th I believe. I don’t know if an offer like that would apply the other way round too. But you have got nothing too loose by contacting them.

Skopelos is great and Agnontas is the best place to stay in Skopelos. I really loved the tavernas with the terraces that are hanging over the sea, reminds a little bit of S.E. Asia.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

By the way, er2006, are you looking for a hotel or for self catering accommodation?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Timothy-Athens: I'm considering both options at this point.

Athens
Level Contributor
1,621 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

I’ll write you down some names and numbers of self catering accommodation in Skopelos. Unfortunately none of them is in Agnontas. You must put a 0030 and I think it is 24240 for the area in front of the telephone numbers.

Mina Apartments Skopelos town 22313 and 23063

Villa ble Skopelos town 23350 and 22814

Studios lina Skopelos town 23870 and 23465

Xenonas Nefeles Skopelos town 23289

Alexia Stafilos 22336 22143

Artemis bungalows Stafilos 22702 and 23092

Xenonas Patsis – Kastro Skopelos town 23362

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

Timothy,

Couldn't find the deal you mentioned by British Airways.

Will try to look up the apartments you recommended online.

Thanks,

Elena

10. Re: islands/lodging advice - 2 weeks, quiet, beachfront

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2009, 16:19