We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Philopappos Hill at sunset

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
193 reviews
Philopappos Hill at sunset

I'd like to go up Philopappos Hill for the view of the acropolis at sunset. However I've read that the area is rife with pickpockets etc. I'm a single woman travelling alone so maybe it's not recommended. Are there other vantage points that are safer? Also, how uneven and rocky is the path up there? I'm just wondering what its like coming down it in the dark. Thanks for your advice.

7 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,829 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

When are you going to do this? Between now and the beginning of October the hill will be full of people come to see the sunset: the danger is mainly in winter (or has been in the past).

The path is a beautiful one, inlaid with bits of pottery and marble, and follows a gentle gradient past some of the best views of Athens and the Acropolis. It's the walk up, more than the arrival at the top, that is so wonderful, so if you do go, don't rush. The top of the hill is rocky and uneven: you do need to watch your step.

Do NOT stay on the hill until it's dark. Come down, the way you went up, as soon as the sun has set. If you're concerned, stick close to others who are coming down at the same time.

I've been up and down Philopappou countless times, in all seasons, and - perhaps luckily - have never had any problems. It's my favourite Athens walk. Even so, there have been incidents, and I'd never advise anyone to do something they're nervous about. You need to make your own decision.

London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
193 reviews
2. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

It will be at the end of September. I'd be going for photography purposes with a camera and tripod and would like to stay up after sunset in order to get the sunset as well as the 'blue hour" post sunset. If it's not safe are there any alternatives I could try instead? Would any of the roof top restaurants or bars allow me up?

3. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2018, 21:25

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
4. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

There was a SINGLE Albanian underage gang back in 2014 that used to rob tourists (again ONE gang in 2014).

newsbeast.gr/society/arthro/653145/speira-al…

They are ALL in jail now.

Absolutely ZERO incidents of attacks/robberies on tourists in this area have been reported since 2014.

Edited: 28 August 2017, 07:49
London, United...
Level Contributor
553 posts
193 reviews
5. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

Thanks for your guidance

Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

Got my bag snatched today! Put it down for 30 secs to take a family photo! Fortunately nothing of value, but makes you suspicious of everything and everyone!

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,829 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Philopappos Hill at sunset

cjmckay44, can you tell us where this happened?

Reply to: Philopappos Hill at sunset
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted