We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

n
Level Contributor
386 posts
35 reviews
Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

I just came from Athens and found the Taxi Beat application really helpful..

At times when we were in the middle of nowhere, and too tired to walk... We just used the app to order a taxi which showed up in a few minutes.. It was usually also more than 3 times cheaper than taxis waiting there to get advantage of tourists :)

It was especially helpful when we were at the Mount Lycabettus for the sunset and we were to tired to walk down and there no taxis what so ever up there....

When our taxi arrived actually many people rushed to it thinking it was available...

So I thought this recommendation could come in handy for some :)

26 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,958 posts
1. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

yes,glad you found it helpful, this is why we locals here recommend it...it is called BEAT now,for those who want to download the app

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Great report Jennifer :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,618 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Thankyou Jennifer! We are always advising using this app (or similar) so it's great when someone reports back confirming how useful it is :)

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
85 posts
355 reviews
4. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

I also found the Beat app helpful. I had walked over a mile to a restaurant in Thissio, only to find it doesn't open for lunch. I then walked another half-mile to a different place only to find out it had permanently closed.

That night I wanted to return to the first place, famed for its lamb chops, but I didn't want to walk to the Metro and then walk from the stop to the restaurant, so I used Beat to order up a cab.

Driver Georgios Georgiou in less than three minutes and even though several streets nearby in Kolonaki were blocked off due to the presence of French President Marcon, Georgios found his way and delivered me to the restaurant.

We also had a great conversation along the way about Athens, the economic crisis and even how tourists eat dinner so much earlier than the locals. Giving restaurants the chance to serve more guests.

I registered a credit card and payment was made automatically. Georgios also showed me the fare before submitting it.

I was very pleased by the service and used it again to return to my hotel.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Good to hear Sowellman :)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
6. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

The greatest thing about BEAT is that it protects tourists and non locals who "know the drills" from the ,admittedly few, dishonest taxi drivers who can't pass the company's strict compliance test (in cleanliness,reporting etc.).

Same thing about other "on call" companies like 18300 & Astir.

So instead of hailing a taxi from the street and risking to get cheated by such a driver use the app.

It is also great for arranging pickups from ports or bus/train stations where (contrary to the airport) the "taxi mafia" shows it's ugly face more than often.

Edited: 11 September 2017, 07:55
Marietta, Georgia
2 posts
1 review
7. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

I downloaded the App (for an October visit to Athens) but it is asking me for an Athens number (Greece country code) and my phone is U.S. based. Not sure how to proceed.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
85 posts
355 reviews
8. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Can you access the profile section of the app? There's a drop-down menu there that allows you to list your number by the proper country.

If I remember correctly, they then texted me at my US number to verify the account and finishmy registration.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,451 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Exactly what Sowellman said. On your personal data field you enter name, email and then there's a dropdown menu where you can select any country code you want and then enter your phone #..

Amherst...
Level Contributor
323 posts
10. Re: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application

Does the app summon taxis with the familiar yellow color, or civilian cars offering taxi style duty? Thank you.

Reply to: Recommendation: Taxi Beat Application
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted