We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best area to stay in Athens?

Lake Zurich...
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best area to stay in Athens?

I know this may not seem to cut and dry of a questionbut here are some things that we are looking for:

Walking distance to main attraction, restaurants, bars

Not too loud ( street noise)

Nice hotel but not too expensive

I know this may still seem broad, any insight is appreciated!!

Dinner in the Sky
££££, Mediterranean, European, Greek
Cinque Wine & Deli Bar
£, Wine Bar, Greek, Deli
Enjoy Just Falafel
£, Lebanese, Fast food, Mediterranean
south wales
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

The Athens Cypria Hotel is a great choice. It is just off Ermou the main shopping street, within walking distance of all the main sights,

just a few mins from Syntagma, but it is the one of the quietest places I have stayed in Greece. It is well priced and breakfast is included.

Mentioned in this post
Athens Cypria Hotel
Athens Cypria Hotel
1,058 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Old Forge, New York
Destination Expert
for Old Forge, Utica
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

katie

angelikii has given you a great suggestion, and others in this same area, and around the same price are Hermes, Amazon, Achilleas,

all small clean hotels with a bit of Euro style thrown in..all a stones throw from Syntagma square, Plaka, and the best of Athens.

I think you will find them all acceptable.

have fun, and know that the locals, experts, and regulars on the Greece Board are the most helpful bunch..

johnnieb

Mentioned in this post
Hermes Hotel
Hermes Hotel
1,681 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Plaka
Plaka
12,490 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Boston, US
Level Contributor
156 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

I would definitely stay in Plaka. I am sorry as I don't have any hotels in mind for Plaka right now, but the area is very beautiful and quiet. Yes it can be a bit touristy but can it NOT be? It is an attraction. It's a welcome change from the hustle and bustle of downtown Athens. My vote would be for Plaka.

Amy :o)

Mentioned in this post
Plaka
Plaka
12,490 Reviews
Athens, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

plaka - thision - monastiraki area

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

We were in Athens 2 years ago and we stayed at the Hotel Austria it is in the Filopappou area it is a not that far to the Acropolis we walked all over when we were there for 2 days it is a visit i will not forget we went in the March before the holiday season started what a lovely time to go it was warm and sunny a bit overcast at times so glad we had brought a jacket with us .I can highly recommend the Hotel Austria the staff were very friendly and helpful the hotel is not that big we had a nice room when you went on the balcony you could see over Athens the area where the hotel is was peaceful and quiet would go there again if i ever visit Athens again i hope one day we will also the metro is not far from the hotel get a all day ticket and you can jump off and on the metro it gets you all over can not remember how much the hotel was but it was not that expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
6. Re: What is the best area to stay in Athens?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 00:15