We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Uber? Beat? Taxi line?

I'll be traveling as a group of 6 adults with luggage and was looking for recommendations for getting us easily to our hotel in Syntagma Square. We are only looking for car options as two travelers are senior citizens and don't want to deal with public transport.

Thanks!

11 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Uber is illegal in Greece,any taxi from the rank outside the arrivals will do,there is a fixed fare to the city center and it is clearly stated on the huge sign in front of the taxi rank.You will need 2 taxis.

Edited: 26 September 2017, 07:10
Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

You can also book a taxi van transfer.

It's not plenty of them, most taxis are shedans. . . so you 'll have to do some kind of booking in advance to go on a van. Most of them do have reviews here in TA and you can google "taxi van athens" to get a lot of suggestions.

Taxi ride from airport to the center is fixed, 38 euros at daytime including all, again all surcharges and fees. You can get a taxi from the taxi rank, it's a mixed fleet of taxis, some are Mercedes, some are older but ok. For two cabs, it's going to be 76 euros for all of you for most of the center and assuming this is a daytime trip.

Then you have Beat. It's exactly the same as taking a cab from the rank, prices are the same. You just book and they get you from a point 50 meters ahead the normal taxi rank. With Beat you can pick driver, pay with your credit card and at the same time pick the vehicle you want. You 'll still need to use two cabs. I wholeheartedly suggest Beat.

Vans are available through web bookings. Prices for 6 people are around 60 - 70 euros, so cost is also similar to booking two cabs + you 'll have just one vehicle to get all of you to the center. Shop around and read reviews before hand and please pay with a credit card insead of handing over cash.

I don't use Uber.

Public transportation is ok, still the total for 6 people will be around 48 euros, so paying a lil' extra more you get either two cabs or a van and you really don't have to go around with luggages blah blah blah. Taxi / transfer services are pretty reasonably priced in Athens. Public transportation is good, still i 'd suggest it for smaller groups and people travelling light. A taxi cost is really comparable when it's 3 - 4 people per vehicle.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

6 persons = 2 taxis x 38€ fixed daytime fare. Better download Beat app to order your taxis and avoid getting ripped off. The procedure is super easy.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Thanks for all the info, its very helpful!

Yeah I was going to ask if regular cabs take credit card.

I think we'll give Beat a try because I think we may want to use it later in the week as well, but I'll also look into a van hire.

Thanks again!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

use BEAT and avoid regular taxis waiting..in the old days they could do what they wanted,like overcharge and rip off tourists..now the technology has beat them,you choose a driver with good ratings on BEAT and you are sure he will not do anything funny,his job depends on his good behaviour .yes,the flat fare is supposed to be 38 euros but it is not uncommon to hear about overcharging by the regular taxi drivers...thank god for technology

Edited: 26 September 2017, 14:35
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Ahh! That's exactly what I was hoping to avoid with an app! (Plus ease of payment!)

Can you tip in the app, or do we need a few euros for that?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
5,353 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

just tip him personally if you are happy with his service

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Yes you can use your credit card. You can even save it in the app (optionally) so that you don’t have to pay the driver. Beat also offer special discounts from time to time, they notify you on your email so you may get lucky :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
142 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

Awesome!

10. Re: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2017, 17:35
Edited: 28 September 2017, 17:35

Reply to: Getting a group from the airport to hotel - best cab options
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted