We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Hi fellow travelers and experts,

I am planning to book Istanbul-Cairo flights with Aegean/Olympic Air with either 6h or 12 h layover at Athens. The ATH airport map on Aegean website shows travelers from Extra-Schengen origin (IST) to Extra-Schengen destination (CAI) need to pass through passport control.Will I need airport transit visa for this transfer if I limit myself within the transit area? Please advise me if you know anything about such transfers. I have an Indian Passport and we need Schengen visa to enter Greece.

When I traveled through SVO (Moscow), I passed through one such Passport Control but there the officer just verified the Passport.

I wrote to Aegean but their reply was not at all specific to my query. I also wrote an email to Hellenic Police Passport Control Duty Officer and Greek Embassy but they have not replied yet.

Thanks!!

Indrashis

Edited: 17 October 2017, 23:48
9 replies to this topic
Unionville...
Level Contributor
16 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Not sure if this is helpful, but here's my experience.

I hold a non-Schengen passport and had a 6 hour layover in Cairo (Athens-Cairo-Toronto). We went through passport control in Athens (to exit the EU) and stayed at the airport for the 6 hours (thank goodness for the Star Alliance lounge). We did not need to go through passport control again in Cairo. If we were to exit the airport, then we would need a new Visa.

Similarly in China - where Canadians need a visa to travel to - we had a stopover in Shanghai (Hong Kong - Shanghai - Toronto) and since we did not leave the airport, a visa was not necessary and we did not have to go through passport control/immigration.

This site might help you - there is a link for Indian Citizens.

https:/…nonustransit.html

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

This is definitely of interest to me too.. planning to use the cheap fare of Singapore-Athens on SCOOT airline and moving to IST ataturk or sabiha through pegasus / aegean / turkish whichever convenient.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

@Indrashis D & @groovy_newborn

As you are not entering the Eu / Schengenzone but just transiting on the airport, you will not need a Schengen visa.

Your flights arrive and depart from the A-gates. From arrival it's just the stairs up 1 flight to departures. See the light blue coloured area on these maps (arrival and departure level of the airport).

http://www.athensflights.gr/index_maps.htm

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Thanks Nicksy and SSC-CP!!

I am looking at a 45 min connection at ATH between an Olympic Air flight and Aegean flight on the same ticket. Hopefully I can make it. Also in the maps, looks like there is no security check between two such flights. May be you know better.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

AFAIK as general rule on same ticket, same PNR etc they'll only sell connections they know you can reasonably make. If you can't e.g. due to first flight being delayed then it's on them.

This isn't a confirmation though as I haven't transited through ATH before

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Whenever in Athens you change between an Aegean and an Olympic flight (or vice versa) there is somebody from Aegean there at the exit of the plane to help people that need a connection. They are wearing a blue waistcoat with "Connection Ambassador) printed on it. If your connection is very tight, they even take you to the gate from where your connecting flight is going.

Last month they managed to get me on my connecting flight that departed only 15 minutes after (a delayed) arival of my incoming flight. We parked on the tarmac, the "connection ambassador" was waiting there, told me to keep next to him and then took me to the gate where the bus for my connecting flight (also parked on the tarmac) was waiting.

These "connecting ambassadors" are an absolute brilliant customer service from Aegean/Olympic.

Rehovot, Israel
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

Hi Nicksy,

Many thanks for sharing your experience. It gives lot more confidence.

I finally booked with Aegean and have heard about these 'Connection Ambassadors' in this forum from many people. They are indeed doing a great job I believe. I will write back on the forum about my experience (in Feb).

@groovy_newborn: good luck with your transfer. If possible let us know how it went.

Thanks,

Indra

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
63 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

@indra finally I decided for other destination as I find out this could probably work for the outbound leg but not for others as this airline does not accept online check in for the leg going the other way.

cheers and good luck.

Now I also learn of these connection ambassadors which I think will come useful in future trips around the region

Save Reply
9. Re: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens

hi,

I have booked a trip Erbil(iraq) to istanbul(Turkey) 2h layover at Athens(transit in athen airport) Will I need airport transit visa for this transfer if I limit myself within the transit area? Please advise me if you know anything about such transfers. I have an Iraqi Passport and Turkish tourist visa .tanx

Reply to: Transit Visa:Ex-Schengen to Ex-Schengen transfer in Athens
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted