We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

I am touching down Athens airport at 9am. What would be best (fast and cost effective) to get to Syntagma? How long will travel take?

After dropping luggage off hotel, plan to do back-to-back visits Acropolis, Parthenon, Acropolis Museum and Pnyx Hill ending with dinner at Plaka area for day 1. Morning of Day2 will be Temple of Zeus, Roman Agora and Varvakios market before heading off to airport for 7pm evening flight.

There are 2 of us. What is a good option of transport for us - metro/Uber/shuttle bus/public bus/etc? If metro, What type of ticket should purchase?

Thanks.

13 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Take a look at Airport transportation under the top questions on the right of this page.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,161 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

If you take the Metro it will cost you 18 euros each (return) and take about 45 minutes. The train goes directly to Syntagma, so you won't have to change. There is a place to keep your luggage on the train, but I recommend that take a seat near the luggage rack, as the train will get quite crowded before you arrive at Syntagma.

Papillion, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

For those regulars on here, is the Airport Transportation and Taxi to/from airport center still relevant and accurate. I notice most of the latest posts are from 2011. In the Taxi one, it still states early morning taxis are 50 euro and I thought I had read on here it is now 54 euro. I am curious if the bus routes, costs, etc. are still accurate.

Thanks.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

There are three ways to do it:

- Metro, which is aforementioned,

- Taxi

- Take X95 bus which is the cheapest way (some 10 euro roundtrip), but in expence of messing with traffic and spending around 1 hour.

I would probably use the metro which takes around 45 minutes

London, United...
Level Contributor
20,640 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Lisa: that reminds me. If you take the X95 bus from the airport, you will get a great view of the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Hadrian's Arch as you enter Athens' historic centre. (That's to console you for having to omit them on Wednesday, as discussed on your other thread.)

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Thank you everyone for feedback.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
92 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

The fares from the airport are regulated. It is 38 euro to go to the downtown area - Acropolis, Syntagma, etc. from 5 a.m. to midnight and 50 euro during the night. I just confirmed this by a google search.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Alabastron, if I take bus from Syntagma to airport in the afternoon of Day 2, will I pass by Temple of Zeus (similar journey from airport to Syntagma)?

Chester Springs...
Level Contributor
13 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

We took a taxi from the airport to the Royal Olympic hotel-4 people-TONS of luggage. 50 euro

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area

Lisa - imho, the view from bus of Hadrian's Arch doesn't compare to seeing it "up close" which is easy to do when you visit Temple of Zeus on Day2 of your itinerary. Plus, on the ground, you'll be able to take photos of the arch with the Parthenon in the same frame.

My husband and I took the metro when we were there two weeks ago and thought it was great. Simple, comfortable (grab a seat bc train fills up as you get closer to city center), and fast. You can just use one of the automated kiosks to get your tickets. Instructions in English are available. No need to stamp for validation (using yellow meter things), unless you want to. Just hold ticket up to reader on turnstile to "activate" your ticket.

Taking metro to airport, something I and other fellow airport-destined people didn't know beforehand...allot 30-40 minute buffer to your trip to airport in case you just miss the direct train. I realized a little too late that our train displayed "D. Plakentias" as the destination, as that was the terminal stop for non-airport bound trains. So we got out there and waited for the next airport bound train. Fortunately, we originally planned to be at airport 1.5hrs before our domestic flight to Santorini. We ended up arriving about an hour before our flight which worked out fine. If you're taking an international flight out of Athens then you may want to adjust the timing accordingly.

Reply to: Transport to & from airport and around Acropolis area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted