We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greece in 3rd week of November

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Greece in 3rd week of November

Hello, we are in staying in Athens from 22nd nov to 25th Nov 2017 and after would like to visit Mykonos and 2 nights in Santorini and back to Athens to fly back on 30th Nov...can you suggest what is the best way to get around? Ferries or by air? Are there ferries daily?

Would appreciate if someone would write back to me. Thank you.

21 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
20,796 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

Flying at that time of year makes more sense, avoiding a long sea crossing on a possibly stormy day. November is proper autumn, and next to December and January it's one of the rainiest months of the year. You may get some lovely weather, and I hope you will, but it would be wise to anticipate rain and wind when planning how you're going to get around.

Unless you are absolutely determined to visit both islands, I would strongly suggest that you omit one of them. Mykonos in particular will be empty; the tourist season is well and truly over, and accommodation and eating places will be limited. But my main reason for suggesting this is that two nights is really just one full day, and trying to squeeze two islands and Athens into a one-week trip means that you will be spending most of your time packing and unpacking, checking in and out of hotels, getting to airports or ferry ports - you get the idea. Each time you shift you lose most of a day. Travel becomes a box-ticking exercise.

I would go for three nights (two days) in Santorini and add another day to your Athens stay.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

This is what Mykonos looks like in the winter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ6G2tASMH0

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

I will agree with Alabastron. Santorini is worth seeing all year long no matter the weather, while Mykonos gets empty, and even though its a nice Greek island, its mostly famous for parties and stylish vacations.With no people, parties and stylish vacation are not there anymore...

If I were you, I would do Athens and Santorini. Athens is certainly not Paris or Rome, but it's vibrant with a respectable amount of sights, and its definitely worth dedicating 2-3 days.

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,328 posts
51 reviews
4. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

I also agree that you should drop one island, Mykonos. You'll be there off-season so it won't be as crazy, crowded, hectic or expensive as High Season. With your time frame it's better to go to one island and stay there and explore/experience what the island is all about.

While I've never been to Santorini I have been to Mykonos which is visually stunning but overly touristy and expensive just like Santorini. You may get a very good and traditional experience in November in Santorini than during High Season, but can't say since I haven't been there at any time.

Athens deserves at least 3 days to fully experience and enjoy. As stated it's not Paris or Rome but a bit more Old World, funky, crazy, wild, and filled with wonderful sites, tavernas, shops, markets and great locals. Seek out the less touristy areas and you'll find Athens a joy to be in.

Edited: 20 October 2017, 18:52
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

Thank you so much for your valuable advice. I have cancelled my hotel bookings in Mykonos and Santorini.

At the moment am staying for 3 nights in Athens.

Any suggestions - where I could spend the other days until 30th Nov.

Sylvia

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

Thanks for your advice. I am reading, reading reading...

Ferries to Santorini not showing.

Flights are uncertin - depending on weather. I don't want to be stranded in Santorini.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

Hi Sylvia

Have you thought about Peloponnese? It's spectacular all year round with tons of things to do and see.

Have a first read here: visitgreece.gr/en/destinations/peloponnese

And the perfect place to stay and start exploring would be Nafplio: www.visitgreece.gr/en/main_cities/nafplio

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

Thank you for your advice.

I am very reluctant to go to a place and get stranded for lack of transport ie flights being cancelled etc. I've got to catch the flight back to Sydney on 30th Nov. from Athens.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

I had a look at the youtube. Totally agree - it's beautiful but lonely.

Will visit another time (whenever that happens)

Thanks

Sylvia

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
4 reviews
10. Re: Greece in 3rd week of November

>>>reluctant to go to a place and get stranded for lack of transport <<<

Are you referring to Nafplio? No don't worry at all, it's super convenient -just 2 hours drive from Athens with buses departing every hour or so.

Reply to: Greece in 3rd week of November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted