We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New year's eve with family

London, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
New year's eve with family

Hi all

We are a family of 7..first time in Athens.

What is the way to spend new year's eve. We want a place with good music and food. Probably we'll be walking towards Syntagma square just before midnight around 10-11 to soak up the atmosphere (if there's any that worth it).

Can u suggest us good places not far from the center?

Moreover..the youngsters among us(30yrs) would like to celwbrate after midnight in a nightclub or something..any recommendations?

Thanks a lot

9 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
16 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New year's eve with family

I'm afraid I cannot be as helpful as I would like to, but just to let you know, the majority of Greeks celebrate New Years Eve with their families, and most of them usually head towards nightclubs or bouzoukia (typical Greek music stages with live music) after 01:00.

In extend to that, most nightclubs or bars open after 00:30 or 01:00 with maybe some exceptions in touristic areas. A reservation in a nightclub would be good, since every nightclub is packed this night and reservations are made at least 1 to 2 weeks before. Even if you do a reservation, don't forget to verify it, since the reservation demand for this night is really really high.

Typical nightlife areas are Gazi (or Kerameikos), Kolonaki, Psyrri etc concerning the center of the city. Then, you will find some typical Greek music stages at Pireaus street.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New year's eve with family

Regarding dinner:

Since you'll be in Greece, I suppose you'll want to go somewhere where you can have some Greek food and listen to some Greek music. If that's the case, avoid the tourist traps in Plaka and head to Psirri area next to Monastiraki, where you'll find many good tavernas with live music preferred by locals as well. Some TA favorites: Taverna Tou Psirri, Oineas, Oinopoleion.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurant_Rev…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

It goes without saying that you need to book well in advance. Also many restaurants will have set menus and prices for the evening, so ask for details before you book.

Regarding nightlife:

I wouldn't recommend bouzoukia (although previous post is spot on, NYE = bouzoukia) as it's a very "Greek' thing and not everyone has fun there. Yes there are clubs in the Gazi area. You are from London so think Hippodrome, Tiger Tiger etc. Let me know if that's your thing and I'll do my best to give you recommendations.

There will also be parties -too early to know so you need to check back here in a month and ask again. Traditionally the best NYE party is held at the Hilton Athens hotel with great DJs, breakfast etc. Another party last year was held in the City Link, a posh building block next to Syntagma square. We'll see.

Another option is to head for Agia Irini square, the hippest and most lively area in the city. Wander around the adjacent streets to discover dozens of great bars, small clubs, live venues, bistros, street food joints, the works. Residence of Athens' best DJs and cocktails. Just follow the crowds to The Clumsies, Noel, Booze, The Gin Joint, Six Dogs, Drunk Sinatra, 7 Jokers -just to name a few of the hottest spots to keep you up until the break of dawn. You can go bar hopping but be prepared for crowds https://whyathens.com/athens-nightlife/

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: New year's eve with family

Hello, I'm watching this thread, too. We will be in Athens over New Year's with our 15-year-old son. We're interested in bars or parties with good music, other young people and dancing...that would not be weird for his middle-aged parents to attend. Might be a tough combination. Any thoughts welcome.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New year's eve with family

Hi -young people in Greece do not dance because they are busy staring at their phones all the time :(

I think I would go with the Agia Irini option. More laid back, a lot of places to choose from and also attracting a mix of crowds so that you being there with your son won’t be weird at all.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
13,950 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New year's eve with family

"Hi -young people in Greece do not dance because they are busy staring at their phones all the time"

hahaha, you made my day. . . indeed. . . it's a reality all aroudn the world. . . people exchange emoticons with people that are in the same club, 2 meters next to them. . . doh. . .

still Athens has a very good dance scene. . . many places open before midnight and people make the year change there, so it does not have to be that you have to spend it in a resturant or waiting for 1am. . .

Agia Eirini is a good option, it offers a good choice of place from more quiet places, to even more club dance environemnts, SixDogs between Agia Eirini and Monastiraki is a big coffee place, opens as an exceptional club at wieekends. Booze is also in the area, both SixDogs and Booze may be a bit too much for a 15yr old and he is way too young for alcohol consuption, still 15 yyear kids are not anymore kids nowadays and accompanied with parents. . .

Psirri area is a place where you 'll find places to go out, all these Agia Eirini + Psirri + Monastiraki blend to each other and it's 3' - 5' walk one from other.

SixDogs, it's one of the best small clubs someone can find, getting better and better these last 4 yrs. https://sixdogs.gr/

Booze here: http://www.boozecooperativa.com/ is one of the best places anyone can find all around the globe where clubbing, arts, political activism ( in a softer meaning ) or to put it lighter political thinking all blend to each other.

Keep an eye on both pages for NYE events, it 'll be around mid December when they make any announcements. I 'd expect both to be open before midnight + you have dozens of options to start the night eating somewhere / definitely book anywhere on that night. Booking either walking by or making a phone call before hand.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New year's eve with family

"Hi -young people in Greece do not dance because they are busy staring at their phones all the time :( "

LOL! Our son should fit right in then :-)

Many thanks to AbsoluteAthens and nick_arch for your insights. We are looking forward to ringing in the new year in Athens!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New year's eve with family

Hi there,

My boyfriend and I will be in Athens for New Years Eve 2018. We are from NYC so are looking for a more romantic NYE experience. Any suggestions? We will probably go clubbing later but I was looking for a romantic dinner place. Thanks!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New year's eve with family

Hi Julgool

Option 1: a traditional taverna, as mentioned in my previous post above.

Option 2: a hotel

Grande Bretagne, King George, NJV Athens Plaza, Hilton Athens, Athenaeum InterContinental Athens, Grecotel Pallas Athena, Electra Palace, Electra Metropolis: this is a list with some of the best Athens hotels that traditionally host special NYE dinner every year. Each has its special festive menu with a fixed price per person. I suggest you go directly to their websites. When it’s time they put up detailed banners with reservation forms, so be on the lookout.

Option 3: a restaurant with Acropolis view

A short list of restaurants with great view (again, check their websites directly): Strofi, Dionysos, Kuzina, Hytra and of course the roof gardens of some of the above hotels.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New year's eve with family

Visit snfcc page.Great park with the best view of Athens, big party, free of charge.

Reply to: New year's eve with family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted