We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

I am going to be in Greece for 22 days in July/August and will be going to 3-4 Cyclades islands as well as spending some time on mainland Greece. It seems like the best provider, although a bit more expensive, is Cosmote. Between my finace and I we have an unlocked Iphone 8 and and unlocked Pixel 2 so I don't think we will have an issue with compatibility. I've done a lot of searching but I can't seem to find any updated pricing for prepaid sim talk, txt and data plans. I would definitely be looking for a 30 day package and would like a minimum of 2gb of data. We will be renting cars throughout our entire trip and most likely relying on google maps to get us around. Can anyone with recent experience in this field let me know how much I would be looking at spending for 30 days of talk and text (international back to Canada) as well as a minimum of 2gb of data.

22 replies to this topic
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Duplicate posting.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18939…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Seeing as my post go buried very quickly in the general forum and I will be buying the sim card in Athens (as do most people as it seems) it seemed a bit more appropriate to post it in the Athens forums. If you can answer my question I would appreciate a response to it, if not i'm sure moderators can handle the rule breaking side of things.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Check out Cosmokarta, the prepaid sim by Cosmote.

You can get 300' calls & 500Mb data for one month for 8.5€ (valid for a month)

https://www.cosmote.gr/cs/Satellite…

And you can top this up with either:

1Gb for 1€ (valid for 1 day) https:/…giga-day-ck.html

or

3Gb for 4€ (valid for 7 days) https://www.cosmote.gr/cs/Satellite…

PS. You can get it at any Germanos or Cosmote shop (not available at the airport but all over Greece)

https://www.cosmote.gr/eshop/locateStores.jsp

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

You can move an old post up in the forum by just writing the word: "Bump".

It is not necessary to do duplicate postings - it only cause confusion.

Edited: 17 January 2018, 18:14
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,584 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

To avoid replies given in more than one post you can delete your old post by looking up "Report inappropriate content" and choose "Remove my post".

Edited: 17 January 2018, 18:16
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Thanks so much AA. I checked out the website but it appears the calls are only for local, within Greece, calling. I need a plan that will allow me to make international calls back to Canada. I tried looking through their website and couldn't find anything.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Greece cosmote or vodafone are the best

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Hi Steve,

I have seen that site already. I don't know if this is correct but based on what I am reading are you supposed to load money onto the prepaid card and then activate a package onto that sim card? Sorry is this seems like a dumb question, our phone lines/billing is SOOO much different in Canada. So essentially it seems like I should be able to lets say put 50 euro onto the pre paid card and then either txt or call 1330 and keep adding whatever plan I want onto that prepaid card until the money is used up?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

It seems easy enough to find pricing on data but I can't seem to find any info on international calls using a prepaid sim card.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece

Ah you’re right mdiavd. Cosmote states that “consumption of the offered talk time to all & MB is also available when roaming within the European Union” but I didn’t initially read that you’re from Canada. My bad.

You’re also right that it’s hard to find info on intl calls :( Have a look at Vodafone though, they may have what you’re looking for. There’s this international prepaid SIM that offers voice and data bundles (incl. Canada).

vodafone.gr/portal/…

Perhaps contact and ask for further info: vodafone.gr/portal/…

Reply to: Prepaid Sim Cards Greece
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted