We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
253 reviews
Save Topic
Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Four adults (with 1 x duffle & 1 x backpack ea) will be needing to get from Athens to Rafina, for our ferry to Andros the following morning. We plan to get to Rafina late afternoon, early evening. Is it simple and straightforward to travel on buses or trains or is it better to pay more and go with a taxi? If taxi, which company is recommended? I have read a few posts on Uber, so I won't bother to ask THAT question - I'm assuming it is still not accepted practice in Greece.

6 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Suburban (KTEL) buses leave from Mavromateon street in Pedion Areos. The ticket is 2.40€ pp I think. To go there take the green metro line to Victoria station and then walk up Heiden street. ktelattikis.gr/uploads/rafina_makri_marathon…

Re taxi, you can download the very popular Beat app on your smartphone and order your car online anytime, anywhere. Like Uber but with regular yellow taxis. Clean cars, polite drivers, pay with credit card and avoid getting ripped off. There is also an option to text the driver directly and let them know about your luggage. Taxis in Athens are usually sedans with a large trunk so your stuff will probably fit.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Thank you AbsoluteAthens. It is good to have both alternatives and I will put it to the vote when the time comes. I have printed off the timetable/route/price list and will take them with me...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Α taxi is the best way for 4 adults,you will pay around 40 euros that is around 10 euros per person,why save a mere 6 euros per person (cost of metro and bus will be around 4 euros) and go through all this trouble with public transportation?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

True - I think the others will prefer a cab too and no chance of pickpockets. I have loaded the Beat app already as well...

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
323 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Clever thinking,you will also avoid dragging your luggage in the heat for quite a distance (I am supposing that you will come during the summer)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.

Nope kinghiss - smarter than that too!! Coming from 22nd May to 3rd July. Convinced one of my best friends and her husband, to join us too - so there will be 4 mad Aussies, instead of 2!!

Edited: 19 January 2018, 12:56
Reply to: Athens to Rafina - Best Way.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted