We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Level Contributor
632 posts
51 reviews
Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Last fall, there was some talk of government regulation possibly getting in the way of the Beat app, possibly even making it impossible for Taxibeat to operate. Has this come to pass? Or, is Taxibeat still working as before?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-taxibeat-…

35 replies to this topic
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Still working :)

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Thank God it’s still working with total support from the people. Taxi mafia didn’t win after all.

Edited: 21 January 2018, 20:16
Level Contributor
632 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

That is excellent news!

Personally, I know how not to be cheated by a taxi in Athens. Unfortunately, I know that many tourists will end up being cheated. So, I am glad to know that the app is still working.

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

I hope I’m not hijacking your thread here YYCFly, but seeing as this came up I just had a quick question I’ve been wondering about Beat. I read online (here to be precise: https://whyathens.com/taxibeat/) that it relies on the meters in the cabs to determine the fair. If that is the case, am I right in assuming there is no financial advance to using the app, rather that it is a simple and quick way to hail a cab even when there isn’t one near you on the street?

Level Contributor
632 posts
51 reviews
5. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

TBH, I haven't yet used the Taxibeat app, but I'm considering it for my next trip to Greece. Thus, I was curious to know if I should bother installing it before I travel.

As I understand, the main advantages are:

- drivers know your destination when you are picked up

- drivers know your location when you order a cab

- drivers are rated by passengers, and if they rate low too many times, they are kicked out of the system

- the app lets you select from several nearby drivers, letting you choose things you may want such as english-speaking or cars with a/c

- while the meter still determines the fare, payment is possible through the app, by credit card or paypal

Is this all still correct?

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,269 posts
80 reviews
6. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Pretty much correct YYCFly, but you don’t have to let them know your destination in advance. There is the option to enter it, but you can continue without doing so.

To answer Minsk, yes, the taxis are metered the same, but with no risk of the driver taking a longer route to bump up the fare & no chance of scamming you with which note you gave them (there have been some regular drivers who palm the €50 note you gave them claiming it was only a €10 etc). Not all regular drivers are scammers but it does happen. A tourist is more susceptible to these possibilities being unfamiliar with the city & routes.

Also, Beat ocassionally has offers on, such as day rates after midnight, half price fares, well worth it if you happen to be here at the time!

London, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
7. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Many thanks for clarifying Yiassa. Sounds like a very well thought out app.

Headcorn, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Yes it is, we used it all weekend, now in June. Best taxi app ever!

Headcorn, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Replying to Misk8786 about the cost...yes the fare is determined by the meter, as other taxis, but every other taxi I've used in Greece, without any exception (we live here so we use them a lot) have added extras to the meter price, and then they argue about it. With Beat they don't, you only pay what the meter says. It is well worth using.

1 post
10. Re: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working

Does taxi beat work with paypal on credit card instead of bank current account?

Reply to: Is the Taxibeat (aka Beat) app still working
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted